AR-9MM PISTOL RECOMMENDATIONS????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neokshooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been considering either building or buying a complete AR 9MM PISTOL. I like what little I've seen so far of the Foxtrot Mike. I want to keep the barrel length around 8.5 inches and no more than 10 inches. I also want it to be a side charger that uses Glock magazines. I'd like to have iron sights as well as a red dot optic. I like the FM side charging handle that is mounted like an H&K. Other than that I just need any recommendations that anyone can give me about different manufacturer's, features, quality and workmanship. What do you all have and what has worked best. I'm really just starting to assemble my thoughts about this so I need all the help I can get.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’d do a PSA AR-V or AK-V at this point. The FM products have been roughly good. Keep in mind, 8.5” can get even barely subsonic ammo to supersonic. If that matters to you.

I did a Spike’s lower and PSA upper in 4.5” with a new handguard and nested CGS suppressor. Suppressor just came in a little over a month ago. It has definitely not been problem free but I think I’ve mostly narrowed it down to the crappy 33rd fake Glock mags. The OEM seem to perform well. That’s the biggest deal, which mags do you want to use? The Colt pattern will be most expensive, Glock a little less and PSA a lot less.

Or you could go CMMG for more money but a great gun with a delayed radial blowback. Or try the true genius of all 9mm carbine/pistols in the MP5 or variants.

Attachments

• 11F86C29-7F5F-43DF-B6F6-69B4BDD76FF6.jpeg
    11F86C29-7F5F-43DF-B6F6-69B4BDD76FF6.jpeg
    95.8 KB · Views: 0

Gideon

Formerly SirROFL
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've only assembled a handful of them, but I do think that if I wasn't 100% sure what all was on the market I would just buy a complete gun, rather than assemble one from parts.

Mine all run smooth, but there's a learning curve and lots of stuff to buy to balance the heavier buffers and heavy bolt to get them to run a variety of ammo.

teslawasframed

Night Watchman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I built two recently...I wanted something I could run from the front seat of my patrol car. My wife tried the first one out and decided it was gonna be her new house gun, so I built the second.

1. Palmetto upper/lower, Faxon barrel.
20220627_155054.jpg

2. 17Design upper/lower, Rock River DOE barrel.
20220627_155024.jpg

At armorers school, I was taught to keep the BCG + buffer weight between 22 and 24 oz. Since mine run like sewing machines and eat anything I feed them, I'd say the advice was good.

I really like how these magwell conversions turned out.
https://suarezinternational.com/ar-15-drop-in-9mm-adapter-for-colt-mags/
My department bought a few 9mm carbines that used Glock mags...they never seem to run properly, so that soured me on the Glock magwells. I suspect something about the angle of the feed lips lining up with the ramps inside the receiver. That said, the CMMG Glock guns are legitimately awesome, and if I were to buy a complete gun today, that's that I'd pick.

Latest posts

Top Bottom