AR Ammo Recommendations for Hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I realize .223 ARs aren't the best round for overall hunting, but I just built my first one in hopes my daughter can use it (wasn't setting up a 7 year old with a 30-06) as well as something I can use on coyotes and hogs. That being said, what are y'all's find recommendations for deer and hogs?
8600b973ddfb7cb5ac574394be84b4a1.jpg

okieshooter777

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know its weird these weapons of war, assault rifles, machine guns, are barely big enough to kill a deer!! LOL :)

My daughter shot her first deer when she was 8 with our ar in .223. We just used a soft tip hornady in 55 grain. Lately we have started using Remington core lokt 62 grain.
Haven't lost a deer yet, and she shot 3 this year, 1 last year, and 1 the year before, and 1 the year before that.
For deer it dont matter a whole lot imo as long as you put the bullet in the boiler room!

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, it's really about placement. It's good to hear you've had luck with Remington Core Lokt. That's what I've shot out of my 30-06, so I do have some experience with the general round functionality.

lasher

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
6.8 spcII downs big hogs in texas, a touch more recoil than 5.56, but i use adjustable gas blocks and have almost zero recoil and muzzle jump

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have choice when i go hunting for hogs-dogs-and deer.
For the last 2 seasons I have been taking my .223.
Of course I hand load and I use 55gr V-Max and it has not let anything go more than 15 feet. many behind the shoulder shots and into the heart. those go the 15 feet and pile up.
I also loaded the Hornady 55g spitzer which instead of the V-max it has a lead tip.. both I use are flat base.

The lead tip will hold together better and mushrooms where the V-Max penetrates about 2" and explodes like a hand grenade.
The lead tip hit animals run every time for about 80 yards hit in the same spot behind the shoulder into the heart.

I hit big deer and hogs in the neck and they just fall over.
Only 1 coyote hit at 15 feet away had the bullet make a wound that looked like the bullet exploded on the outside.. but that was front shoulder that vaporized when hit and it was splash back that covered the hide in blood.

You can go to midway usa and research the bullets used and see what people say about their experiences with them.

I usually do that when selecting components that are new for me.

I think the daughter will love that gun.
Test accuracy with and without that brake on it.
I hated the brake / flash hider as it made it way too loud and the concussion coming back was unpleasant.
There was always some that came back.

20 or so rounds down the pipe on mine would carbon up the crown and my accuracy fell off.I just run thread protectors on my threaded rifles now.

Something for you to test out.
Or your daughter to test out.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My brother has had great results using Hornady Black 75 gr 223 ammo on pigs up to 250 lbs.

My hand loads using 75 gr bullets shoot really well, but I haven’t killed anything yet.

Latest posts

Top Bottom