AR BCG school me

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Putting pieces together for a build for me and my son. Looking at BCG prices all over from 80-300. He is buying his own parts got him a lower for his Bday he wants a light blaster. I'm looking at a bench rig have a 20 in Wilson combat barrel in 223 wylde want it as accurate as possible. So do the BCG matter that much

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you have a Wilson barrel, I'd recommend a Wilson BCG. Headspace is factory set and it's rare there could be a problem, but for best results keep barrel/BCG the same manufacturer.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A bcg is a bcg, if it's within milspec there is no real reason to buy a fancy one except maybe the do MPI or a NiB coating on it the gas key should also be properly staked. Next one I pick up will be http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XAIMBCGNIBBDG

The biggest advantage of the NiB coating is they don't get as hard caked after shooting a ton. Hose it down with CLP and fire away.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you have a Wilson barrel, I'd recommend a Wilson BCG. Headspace is factory set and it's rare there could be a problem, but for best results keep barrel/BCG the same manufacturer.

Nothing WRONG with using the same manufacturer, but it's not something I have ever worried about. Never had a problem.

Only thing I would say at this point, is I highly recommend something that is nitrided. Can still easily get one of those under $100. If you're paying $300 for a BCG... well... good for you. lol

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nope haven't put any $$ out there such a price difference didn't have a clue that's what you folks are for lol. The extra $$ will most likely turn into buffalo trace or eagle rare[emoji485]

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree, a BCG is milspec and would not worry so much about manufacture. I have a couple of the PSA Premium BCGs and they are nice. I also have a Bravo Company BCG and it has a super nice finish on it. The Bravo Company BCG cost $163 compared to the PSA premium BCG is $84 with a charging handle. http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...oup-no-logo-psa-ar15-m16-charging-handle.html
I agree about the Black Nitride finish, it will be easier to clean.
You do want to get the M16/full Auto Bolt and not the AR15 style bolt. No, it will not make the rifle full auto, it's merely design.
i42.tinypic.com_vwwsqe.jpg

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
MilSpec is only a standard or design specification for how an item is "supposed" to be built to for a government contract. You might be surprised how many items fail this specification when tested. Dimensional, heat treating/hardness, surface finish, coatings, even the metallurgical characteristic of the material it is made from. This experience is from parts being submitted by vendors knowing that the items are going to be tested.

In the picture above I can easily eliminate 3 as not being in MilSpec. This particular non-compliance is likely not a factor in making a rifle operate, but it is not built to the military standard specification.

MilSpec is only as good as the manufacturer chooses to hold to the standard.

lasher

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
as i understand it, headspacing (while critical) can only be altered by using a different bolt or changing out the feed ramp extension. i think truth in advertising would say "matching barrel and bolt are checked for headspace". these days i only use ARP barrels and their bolts. in the past i've used PSA, BCM (back when the gave you a BCG with an upper purchase), FailZero, and AIM. had a problem with a 308 AIM BCG, someone doubled up the the extractor O ring, once i took the second one out it functioned correctly, and at another board there have been 2 additional reports of double O rings on AIM

Latest posts

Top Bottom