AR Build Challenge

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Another option would be to just build an Upper dedicated to 22 LR. Then you might be able to modify the the buffer spring and gas system to allow shooting 22 shorts and the bolt still cycle. If I was looking for quieter operation I would tweak the Upper gas system and buffer spring to shoot 22 LR Sub-sonic ammo and still cycle properly.

The problem you would run into, is there aren't any .22 short mags for the AR rifle. So you'd have to use a .22lr mag and once the buffer started to push the bullet forward, it wouldn't be close enough to the barrel to be able to go in. Instead it would fly up from the mag spring and jam o er and over.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
once the buffer started to push the bullet forward, it wouldn't be close enough to the barrel to be able to go in. Instead it would fly up from the mag spring and jam o er and over.

You just need longer followers on the magazine I would think to keep it in check. Not a hard thing to do.

Feed ramp may need modified as well but maybe not.
If I had a lot of .22 short and nothing better to do ..But there is always something I have that is better to do and I do not have any shorts. .22 shorts that is

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The final thoughts from the conversation were that it would not be possible. That was the thoughts from three, but one was sure that if presented with the challenge, there are some very creative builders, even here on Oklahoma that would be able to make it happen.

No one thought that there would be a market, or even a reasonable use for one, other than being able to say, "look what I did".

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You just need longer followers on the magazine I would think to keep it in check. Not a hard thing to do.

Feed ramp may need modified as well but maybe not.
If I had a lot of .22 short and nothing better to do ..But there is always something I have that is better to do and I do not have any shorts. .22 shorts that is

Follower would have nothing to do with it. It's the feedlips on the clip (magazine for those who say it wrong) that would need to be extended. You may even need to put a spacer at the back to get all the rounds closer to the front of the clip, which in that case the follower would have to be trimmed along the back.

TeleStratMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The problem you would run into, is there aren't any .22 short mags for the AR rifle. So you'd have to use a .22lr mag and once the buffer started to push the bullet forward, it wouldn't be close enough to the barrel to be able to go in. Instead it would fly up from the mag spring and jam o er and over.

Modifying a magazine would not be an impossible task to function with whatever ammo you are using. The barrel feed ramp would be of more concern when dealing with a 22 short. It would have to be custom machined but if one has enough money you can find a machinist with the skills to do about anything.

Latest posts

Top Bottom