AR for hog hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCVetSteve

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some of the wildcats have to be fire formed, trimmed, annealed, Etc before loading.
I'm not into that

I reckon I would have liked the 25-45 Sharps. Based on the 5.56 NATO, but no trimming like the 300BLK. Just a .257 bullet about 90gr shoved into a 5.56 case, same COAL and everything. If only I could buy the barrels from somewhere other than Sharps and the rounds at academy or Walmart.

MrShooter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I almost bought a Valkyrie for coyotes but it wasn’t worth it to me. It only significantly beats the 5.56 at long range. And I have many guns built for long range that will smoke a Valkyrie.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I almost bought a Valkyrie for coyotes but it wasn’t worth it to me. It only significantly beats the 5.56 at long range. And I have many guns built for long range that will smoke a Valkyrie.
Yeah, I wouldn't have one just for coyotes but if I did a lot of long range hog hunting or deer hunting I would be very interested.

MrShooter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Yeah, I wouldn't have one just for coyotes but if I did a lot of long range hog hunting or deer hunting I would be very interested.

If you were staying with a caliber that would fit in an AR-15 receiver and wanted to shoot long range, it’d be a flat shooter. In a bolt gun, there are MUCH BETTER options though.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A 90gn 224 drops 6ft less that a 77gn 223 Rem at 1000 yards

223 Rem Drop is 455in
224 Valk Drop is 381in

Are you saying that's marginal?

Last edited:

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I reckon I would have liked the 25-45 Sharps. Based on the 5.56 NATO, but no trimming like the 300BLK. Just a .257 bullet about 90gr shoved into a 5.56 case, same COAL and everything. If only I could buy the barrels from somewhere other than Sharps and the rounds at academy or Walmart.
My cousin in Ft Smith loves 25-45 for pigs. He does reload though

Latest posts

Top Bottom