AR for hog hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrShooter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Then let me clarify, my gun was to shoot hogs and dogs under 150ish yds. There was no point in getting the Valkyrie even though I wanted one. If I wanted to hunt with precision at long range, I have custom guns that will put a Valkyrie to shame.

There’s no point in a Valkyrie for a gun with the purpose of close range shots. Which is why I went 300blk

MCVetSteve

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Then let me clarify, my gun was to shoot hogs and dogs under 150ish yds. There was no point in getting the Valkyrie even though I wanted one. If I wanted to hunt with precision at long range, I have custom guns that will put a Valkyrie to shame.

There’s no point in a Valkyrie for a gun with the purpose of close range shots. Which is why I went 300blk

There is a purpose for someone on a budget. Say someone like me who already has an AR as an “any time I need a rifle” rifle, but would like to have more versatility than a 16” 5.56 AR can offer. A 20” upper in 224 Valkyrie might be just the ticket, which is why I’m seriously considering one.

MrShooter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
There is a purpose for someone on a budget. Say someone like me who already has an AR as an “any time I need a rifle” rifle, but would like to have more versatility than a 16” 5.56 AR can offer. A 20” upper in 224 Valkyrie might be just the ticket, which is why I’m seriously considering one.

Someone on a budget, who is shooting past 100 yards, yes. But as I said in my post, I’m not.

PSA has Valkyrie uppers for $499 which is the cheapest I’ve seen but quality is definitely a crap shoot. If you’re really on a budget the Ruger American in 6mm/6.5/300wm/etc can be had for $350.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Someone on a budget, who is shooting past 100 yards, yes. But as I said in my post, I’m not.

PSA has Valkyrie uppers for $499 which is the cheapest I’ve seen but quality is definitely a crap shoot. If you’re really on a budget the Ruger American in 6mm/6.5/300wm/etc can be had for $350.
Some people, such as myself, just prefer the AR platform.

The 5.56/.223 caliber meets 99% of my needs but I'm always interested in what else may be available.

Latest posts

Top Bottom