AR open carry at Hafer park in Edmond

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When seeing someone like that you have to decide if he is looking for fame by "exposing" overreacting cops or by being the next mass shooter. Which one will he be? Do you know right off the bat?
No, a more normal dress choice and acting a bit less off center lol would have been to his advantage but the cops are honestly as much to blame for his "legal protest" I'll call it, than anything. Like I said, when I was a kid this was a common sight but always done without the rambo cloths and attitude. lol

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes I carried that rifle in the back window also when I got my first truck. To school even where it remained in the back window until I wanted to drive to the country and shoot a rabbit or a target. The only way to make it common place again is, to make it commonly exercised. I think...
The only time I got questioned by the law one night leaving my girlfriends house, got pulled over, and he looked in the window at the rifle and said, "we had a report of someone in this area driving around waving a gun out the car window, was that you"? I said no sire, that rifle hasnt moved since last (whenever) when I was target practicing, it hasnt been touched since".
He asked if it was loaded and I said yes sire, and he said have a nice night, and walk away. Never checked any ID, just asked a few simple questions.
It was also common place for LEOs to have a better attitude and no chip on their shoulder.

The rub comes when public expectations conflict with law and policy. When someone like this guy is trying to provoke an improper response by emulating suspicious activity (and that's exactly what he was doing), the best thing to do on that call for service is to approach the scene and conduct personal observations of the activity. If you can't develop RAS or PC, simply approach the citizen, explain why you're there and politely ask them if they mind cooperating for a couple of minutes to put the public/reporting party at ease.

If they're reasonable and let you perform your duties to public safety, you can then disengage and hang around for a few minutes to see if anyone approaches you to ask about the situation. If they flatly refuse to cooperate with your field interview, then resume observations of the scene and situation until you're satisfied that there's no threat. Should concerned citizens approach you, let them know that no crime has been committed but you're there to monitor the situation. When/if you develop RAS/PC after the contact and refusal, then you can conduct a custodial investigation.

It really is that simple. I have opposing views on this type of activity. I don't personally condone it and would never do so myself. It falls under the old military axiom "never skyline yourself". That being said, it is his right and hopefully someday seeing people in public with firearms acting in a law abiding manner will not be cause to call the police.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The rub comes when public expectations conflict with law and policy. When someone like this guy is trying to provoke an improper response by emulating suspicious activity (and that's exactly what he was doing), the best thing to do on that call for service is to approach the scene and conduct personal observations of the activity. If you can't develop RAS or PC, simply approach the citizen, explain why you're there and politely ask them if they mind cooperating for a couple of minutes to put the public/reporting party at ease.

If they're reasonable and let you perform your duties to public safety, you can then disengage and hang around for a few minutes to see if anyone approaches you to ask about the situation. If they flatly refuse to cooperate with your field interview, then resume observations of the scene and situation until you're satisfied that there's no threat. Should concerned citizens approach you, let them know that no crime has been committed but you're there to monitor the situation. When/if you develop RAS/PC after the contact and refusal, then you can conduct a custodial investigation.

It really is that simple. I have opposing views on this type of activity. I don't personally condone it and would never do so myself. It falls under the old military axiom "never skyline yourself". That being said, it is his right and hopefully someday seeing people in public with firearms acting in a law abiding manner will not be cause to call the police.
Agreed 100%

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This person is an irresponsible idiot. What he did served no useful purpose, in fact, behavior like this only sends many people further to the left. Why in the world do some fools feel the need to draw attention to themselves like this? It's unbelievable to me that some actually support this clown's actions.

Most of us here exercise our 2A rights on a daily basis; I do; but I don't go out of my way to draw attention to it, or to make others feel scared or uncomfortable about it. Times have changed; either be a member of society and adhere to the norms of behavior, or be a dumbass and strut around like you're Rambo and see how far that gets you.

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't read everyone's response, so if already said "sorry". If your going to educate people, you need to know what your talking about. The Sig brace does not make it a pistol, the fact it doesn't have a fixed butt stock does and of course it being under 16in. People second guess PO's all the time. It's sure easy making a decision sitting in my recliner having a chance to observe and rewind all that's going on. Try doing that in 1 or 2 seconds. Great job EPD.

skyhawk1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was a member of the 2A group for a couple years but dropped out just because of this attitude that a lot of the members had Don included. They have , in my opinion, have gotten extreme in the things like this they do. Yes I carried a rifle/shotgun in the backwindow of the PU ( till my Dad saw where it wore the blueing off the barrel of my Browning!) then it was on the seat. Freaking out women, children etc like this is not necessary and not doing anybody any good. YES the men and women in blue are paranoid and overly cautious about somebody carry openly. They have a reason to! I have many friends on OKCPD as well as other cities. I think about them a lot not knowing if somebody is going to shoot them in the back. Constitutional carry is going to take a long time for some to get used to, some will never get used to it. This is not, in my opinion, the way to adjust the "new society" we have today.
That's all folks

Latest posts

Top Bottom