AR open carry at Hafer park in Edmond

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If they are “auditing”, who do they report to? Sounds like self proclaimed attention seekers who if they approach the wrong person may get a response they won’t like.

It’s been a long time since I read the complete text of the SDA, but wasn’t there a section that specified calibers allowed for carry and the specific definition of a pistol or was it removed?

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It’s been a long time since I read the complete text of the SDA, but wasn’t there a section that specified calibers allowed for carry and the specific definition of a pistol or was it removed?
They have been massaging the SDB law, as you kno, for years and those things were removed I believe just a couple years ago.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If they are “auditing”, who do they report to? Sounds like self proclaimed attention seekers who if they approach the wrong person may get a response they won’t like.

They have been massaging the SDB law, as you kno, for years and those things were removed I believe just a couple years ago.

It used to specify caliber and overall length (which was a maximum, and would have prohibited most all AR pattern pistols due to the buffer tube). Pistol is still defined, but as noted, it's been redefined as to be more broad and basically just limits barrel length to under 16":

“Pistol” or “handgun” means any derringer, revolver or semiautomatic firearm which: a. has an overall barrel or barrels length of less than sixteen (16) inches, b. is capable of discharging single or multiple projectiles from a single round of ammunition composed of any material which may reasonably be expected to be able to cause lethal injury, c. can be held and fired by the use of one or both hands, and d. uses a combustible propellant charge to propel the projectile or projectiles

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
This thread reminds me of the threads where people were super concerned with open carry. If the guy is not breaking the law, which he is not, the police should explain the law to the person that reported him. I open carry most of the time, I do not care if I make some soccer mom upset, it is my Right. I do not agree with intentionally causing a problem, but a Right is never a problem.

1. “Concealed handgun” means a loaded or unloaded pistol or handgun not openly visible to the ordinary observation of a reasonable person;
2. “Unconcealed handgun” or "open carry" means a loaded or unloaded pistol or handgun carried upon the person in a holster where the firearm is visible, or carried upon the person using a scabbard, sling or case designed for carrying firearms; and
3. “Pistol” or “handgun” means any derringer, revolver or semiautomatic firearm which:
a. has an overall barrel or barrels length of less than sixteen (16) inches,
b. is capable of discharging single or multiple projectiles from a single round of ammunition composed of any material which may reasonably be expected to be able to cause lethal injury,
c. can be held and fired by the use of one or both hands, and
d. uses a combustible propellant charge to propel the projectile or projectiles.

https://osbi.ok.gov/sites/g/files/gmc476/f/documents/2018_SDA_Law_Book_11012018.pdf

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Clay is correct.
http://www.news9.com/story/31162780/man-tries-to-take-knife-into-state-capitol

Cowcatcher I think Mr. Spencer is more likely to give the man carrying an AR 15 in the park an "Atta Boy" than be concerned about anyone disapproval.
I guess I'm learning something then. I doubt he'd reply to my email anyhow. He never has in the past when I inquired about hats or bumper stickers. He does accept my money though. I'm pretty sure that Facebook is his thing for communicacationizing and I don't FB. I guess I'll just keep on keeping on.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't read everyone's response, so if already said "sorry". If your going to educate people, you need to know what your talking about. The Sig brace does not make it a pistol, the fact it doesn't have a fixed butt stock does and of course it being under 16in. People second guess PO's all the time. It's sure easy making a decision sitting in my recliner having a chance to observe and rewind all that's going on. Try doing that in 1 or 2 seconds. Great job EPD.
What makes it a pistol is how it leaves the factory. If it leaves the factory as a pistol, it is a pistol.

Woody

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
An AR 15 is a rifle. An AR 15 is not a pistol. A pistol can be styled like an AR 15 and, therefore, should be labeled as an AR style pistol.

Woody
It's a mute point, the SDA no longer defines a carry weapon as specifically either. He was well within the law to carry his AR, regardless how it left the factory.

Latest posts

Top Bottom