AR Pistol (and the like) guys

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks, just making sure.

To get it as close to a SBR as possible without being a SBR.
But, it is still legal. I would like to see SBRs made legal, without a tax too. Therefore,
I understand the argument that if an AR pistol with a brace is legal and the ATF know what people are doing with them, why not just make the SBR legal? I do not see them losing the tax anytime soon. SBRs are now a de jure vs de facto situation in the nation, people have them, but they don't, wink wink.
The brace VS SBR issue is sort of comparable to the ccw vs open carry. I want to carry openly to be a deterrence vs you lose the tactical advantage.

Last edited:

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The best use for an AR pistol is as a placeholder for a Form 1 SBR. Second best is to have 4/5ths of an SBR because you can't or won't pay the tax stamp. The best use for an SBR or 4/5ths SBR is home defense or vehicle carry.

FWIW, a pistol tubed AR with a rubber cane foot, foam tube cover and micro sights works surprisingly well with a plate carrier. :)

As for the legality, it's the shouldering of a brace that makes it an unregistered SBR, which is asinine. If shouldering an unregistered short barreled AR is wrong, then it shouldn't matter whether it's a cane foot or a brace right? Besides, wasn't the entire justification for including SBR's in the 34 Act that they had no military purpose? Doesn't our .mil now routinely use assault rifles with under 16" barrels? Shouldn't that by the way our legal system works, automatically nullify that part of the Act? I'm surprised we haven't had a test case on it yet.

Last edited:

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nobody was talking about the pistol.
The brace is being shouldered. When is the last time you saw a brace on a 500 magnum?
Change the law.
You might want to reread your post where you state that AR pistols are skirting the law. The braces are completely different than pistols.

Interestingly enough, the braces may be a huge contributing factor to the sbr laws being changed.

358norma

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To respond to the original question what do you think of them and why?

They are a lot of fun to shoot especially with a brace or blade, I have both! I have both 223/5.56's and 300 blackouts. I highly recommend a flaming pig type (flash cone) muzzle attachment as these are some fire breathers with LOTS of noise. This type muzzle break push a lot of the sound, flame, and percussion away from you which makes them more fun to shoot.

Why? Cause I can mostly! Why would someone own 2 9mm handguns? Or more that one rifle? Because you want to...The AR pistol is very handy, well suited for a truck, ATV, backpack. I am already shopping supressors in case we get the right legislation passed, I will have a can on the 300 ASAP! The other upside is they don't take up a rifle slot in the safe, they can sit on the upper shelf and leave a spot open for another rifle, just sayin.

If for some reason you found yourself in the house with an univited guest, these things are very handy and would be a good tool for that senerio too.

Lot's of reason to have one. Now why wouldn't you?

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lot's of reason to have one. Now why wouldn't you?

I had one. Didn't like it. It was too small to be properly "wielded" in my opinion.

What I DO want is one of those foldable carbines. That I think is more compact, slimmer, less unwieldy and would work fine in the scenarios you mention. The Kel-Tec Sub 2000 Gen II, that's the one (had to go look it up). I've been keeping my eyes open for one in .40 cal that takes Glock mags, since I have a ton of those already. I haven't played with or fired one of them, so I don't know for a fact it will be something I like, but I had the AR pistol while waiting for my SBR stamp, and I never even took it out and fired it, because I didn't like the way it carried/felt.

Just a matter of preference, really.

<edit> I will admit, though, that mine wasn't built or configured to be a pistol, it was specifically built to be a suppressed SBR, which I believe changes things - the balance and such. All depends on the rail and the barrel. If I were building one specifically to remain as a pistol, I would probably build it in a different configuration, which might change the way it felt/handled. Just to be fair.

Latest posts

Top Bottom