AR Pistol Barrel Length

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I have recently considered building a .223/5.56 AR Pistol for home defense.

I seemed to have gleaned from the interweb that 11.5" is the shortest barrel length that is suggested for the best reliability.

I wouldn't be using a suppressor because I refuse to pay the tax on one.

Is an 11.5" barrel the best or am I just imagining that is what I have learned while surfing through the wisdom of the gun forums?

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have recently considered building a .223/5.56 AR Pistol for home defense.

I seemed to have gleaned from the interweb that 11.5" is the shortest barrel length that is suggested for the best reliability.

I wouldn't be using a suppressor because I refuse to pay the tax on one.

Is an 11.5" barrel the best or am I just imagining that is what I have learned while surfing through the wisdom of the gun forums?

Is your hearing worth $200? Mine is. Granted you're still not "hearing safe" but if I were using a short barreled 5.56 AR I'd want all the reduction I could get.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
10.5” is fine on a .223. If there is reliability issues, it is not from the barrel length on a 10.5”.
Shorter can be a mix of results. 11.5 only gains about 100fps of velocity over 10.5.

My 10.5” AR is loud in an indoor range. Much more than the 16” in the same class settings. I run it with a K-length suppressor that adds less than 3” to the barrel length. Still not hearing safe, but close.

If you use an unsuppressed rifle caliber in an indoor self-defense situation, you will suffer hearing damage. No question about it. You have to choose whether or not you are willing to pay the price on the stamp or not. It was never a question for me.

Your other option is pistol caliber like 9mm or .40, but they are not much more effective than a pistol of the same caliber. Another might be 300BLK. My 9” is not as loud as my 10.5” 223 unsuppressed. With both suppressed, it is yet quieter still. Even with 110g bullets.

Good luck with your build, but a 10.5 is a proved reliable performer.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it were me and it was for HD, I'd go 9mm pistol with Glock mags.. A rifle round in the suburbs, nah and in a mobile home most definitely not.. 8"-10.5 ar in 9mm with red dot..