AR Pistol Barrel Length

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MilitantBEEMER

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Their are some interesting test showing that 556 is actually a safer HD round than 9mm or 45acp. I will see if I can find the links and post them.
I would second the loudness of a short barreled AR. I imagine it would completely rock your world (not in a good way) if you were to discharge in a confined space with no hearing protection.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have 10.5" pistol uppers in both 5.56 and 300 Blackout . . . I think my AR9 upper is 8.5".

The suppressed 300 Blackout is VERY fun to shoot.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You said you won't pay for the tax on a suppressor. I'm relaying that short barreled ARs are REALLY loud, couple that with being used for HD indoors and you'd think the $200 would be worth it.

No doubt! I have a 8.5” 300 BLK pistol and with no suppressor, I put earplugs in and electronic muffs on top of that. I shot it once without anything and my ears rang for 3 hrs.

Will Red

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Suppressed short barrel is the way to go for a home defense ar platform. Shooting any barrel length regardless of caliber indoors is going to **** you up to the point where it is going to affect your reactions and performance of using the weapon system. 300blk is a good option, Hornady makes a subsonic 190gr that expands all the way down to 900fps, no need to worry about much over penetration if there is any at all. At the end of the day shot placement and how one reacts in a stressful situation is really all that matters but if your wanting to build a ar home defense firearm id look at different calibers and get a can. I paid 700$ total(tax stamp included) for a srd762. One of the best things I’ve ever bought for my rifle.