AR pistol complete! (or, my new favorite gun)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pokem807

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been tweaking this thing for a while now, and I think it's finally perfect for me. It's lightweight, short OAL, balances nicely and is just fun to shoot.

The Tailhook Mod 1 brace, IMO, is the best on the market. I haven't tried the PDW style braces, or the Tailhook Mod 2, but there's really no desire to. The simplicity of the Mod 1 is it's biggest asset. It's light, unobtrusive, solid and has a QD cutout to boot!

Initially I was running it on a BCM pistol buffer tube and that worked great, but the LOP was not quite long enough for my freakishly long forearm. I still loved the configuration, but it wasn't perfect. Then I stumbled across the KAK Tailhook buffer tube. It's longer than the standard pistol tube, and has a larger OD which is turned down where the brace slips on. Talk about a match made in heaven. With the foam cover (which was a cast iron MFer to get on), it takes the Tailhook to a whole new level. The downside is that the KAK tube adds some weight, but as a result the balance improved.

Here's some more info:

Aero M4E1 10.5" upper
Toolcraft BCG
Magpul MS1 sling
BCM pistol grip
Troy rear sight
Blitzkrieg front sight post (awesome!)
Arisaka hand stop
Odin Works light mount
Surefire G2X light
Hipertouch trigger

I know some folks don't see the point of pistols, and say "just SBR it!" My question is "why?" My pistol is every bit as compliant with the NFA as your SBR, and I didn't pay $200 for the privilege of an ATF reach around in the form of a stamp. And you should see my fore arms. They're buff as hell. :hey3:

IMG_0292.JPG

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Very nice! I'm thinking about doing a .300BLK pistol myself, so the info on the longer Tailhook buffer tube is appreciated! As for the pistol vs. the SBR, I still think an adjustable LOP stock is better, but the pistol has the advantage if travelling outside Oklahoma. No need to file paperwork with BATFE and compliant in more states!

cal7.62x39

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nice, looks like its a blast to shoot. Sold my last build, just wasn't all that thrilled with it. When I do another im visioning a 10.5, or 11.5 dissipator style myself.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I 'm planning the same thing, GTG. what barrel length are you looking at?
Right now Palmetto State has an 8.5" upper with Keymod forend for $199 (minus BCG & CH). That's pretty tough to beat and considering 98% of my use will be 50 yards or less, should be good enough. That will let me spend more $$$ on the suppressor and have a pretty short overall package. I'm looking at 47"-6" cans like the Omega 9K, TBAC Ultra 5, etc.

Latest posts

Top Bottom