AR pistol scope mount

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NINEROUND

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an AR pistol with a 10.5” barrel. I also have a Nikon M223 1-4 scope mounted on it in a cheap detachable scope mount that doesn’t quite fit on the railing available. The front QD point kinda locks on but not very solidly. Other than get a longer rail ( I like the one on it) can anyone offer suggestions for a short base, preferably QD, scope mount for this set up?

Also, the rubber scope eyepiece sits on the back up rear sight. BUIS front and back are a must, so I would need something that allows for them, preferably without going too high.

Any suggestions?

Bigdawg90

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
American Defense Manufacturing makes my favorite mount for LPVOs. It’s the scout recon high mount. It puts the scope at 1.93” which is perfect for heads up shooting but also allows you to sink a cheek weld on the rifle in prone.

It’s not exactly budget but it’s no where near the top tier lines. You can find em on sale at primary arms.

NINEROUND

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
American Defense Manufacturing makes my favorite mount for LPVOs. It’s the scout recon high mount. It puts the scope at 1.93” which is perfect for heads up shooting but also allows you to sink a cheek weld on the rifle in prone.

It’s not exactly budget but it’s no where near the top tier lines. You can find em on sale at primary arms.
I.9” to the center of the scope tube?

Wylde_Shot2

Marksman
Reaction score
I have an AR pistol with a 10.5” barrel. I also have a Nikon M223 1-4 scope mounted on it in a cheap detachable scope mount that doesn’t quite fit on the railing available. The front QD point kinda locks on but not very solidly. Other than get a longer rail ( I like the one on it) can anyone offer suggestions for a short base, preferably QD, scope mount for this set up?

Also, the rubber scope eyepiece sits on the back up rear sight. BUIS front and back are a must, so I would need something that allows for them, preferably without going too high.

Any suggestions?
Wheeler scope riser

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Are you cheap? Or are you willing to spend a couple bucks? What's your scope tube size and where are you mounting your rear iron?

1.93" HOR (centerline height over rail) is a measurement no one really uses any longer. It was for Eotechs and some other sights for co-witnessing irons on M16/M4s, clearing stuff on rails, etc. It's also just about the height of a rail on a carrying handle.

The standard is 1.5" HOR - that's for the Gov and providers make their mounts to that height.

Last edited:

Bigdawg90

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1.93” and 2.04” are pretty much industry standards for professional and end users. 1.5” is great for normal ear pro, but to clear comms, gas masks, BUIS, and passive night vision aiming, the taller mounts are amazing. Not to mention, getting a cheek weld with a ballistic helmet while probe is straight up sucky.

The lower 1/3 cowitness on eotechs is generally 1.57” but Unity, Knights armament, Larue, and ADM all make risers to bring it up to the NV level of around 1.93”.

When LPVOs made their way into the mainstream with the military and near peer conflicts became more probable, Unity, Badger and Scalarworks put out the 1.93” and 2.04” height. At first people scoffed, but if you shoot LPVOs regularly and need BUIS, NV or comms, the additional height is amazing. Now every major manufacturer has there high version.

If you building an AR for 2nd Ammendment purposes or just need a little more height, 1.93” feels like that Goldilocks zone. ADM can be had for around $150 while a Unity is around $300.

I don’t know of any cheap QD mounts. You could get by retrofitting a Larue or ADM QD mount onto yours or the wheeler scope riser.

NINEROUND

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you cheap? Or are you willing to spend a couple bucks? What's your scope tube size and where are you mounting your rear iron?

1.93" HOR (centerline height over rail) is a measurement no one really uses any longer. It was for Eotechs and some other sights for co-witnessing irons on M16/M4s, clearing stuff on rails, etc. It's also just about the height of a rail on a carrying handle.

The standard is 1.5" HOR - that's for the Gov and providers make their mounts to that height.
I don’t consider myself cheap, but for me functionality doesn’t necessarily have to have a name or a high price tag. Mainly looking for a shorter mount point that can maybe move the scope another 1/4” to 3/“8” farther forward and still have a solid attachment. It is pretty solid now, but the OCD part of me needs both clamps to be clamped to something. Smaller clamp area.

NINEROUND

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
here is what I’m working with/have. Maybe a PEPR type base or similar? Guess I could cut the front part off and just have a single clamp. 👀

Attachments

• CC20DCC6-1409-4647-B2F0-DE171321AEE0.jpeg
    CC20DCC6-1409-4647-B2F0-DE171321AEE0.jpeg
    119.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 102835F6-73A6-4656-92AD-5E05E2F70FC4.jpeg
    102835F6-73A6-4656-92AD-5E05E2F70FC4.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • F03B8E09-587A-4601-9E61-98BE6266A836.jpeg
    F03B8E09-587A-4601-9E61-98BE6266A836.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0