AR rifle and/or pistol?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1. Is an AR-15 (16" barrel) 26" or more in overall length with the buffer tube, but without the stock?

2. If so, can you simply slide the stock off the buffer tube and shoot it as a long-barreled pistol? Or perhaps a stockless rifle?

3. Or are there other issues involved (i.e. once a rifle, always a rifle; two handed grip, etc.)?

Just curious, thanks.
:drunk2:

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
3&2) once a rifle, always a rifle. You are free to shoot it without a stock, but unless you file the SBR paperwork, it can never legally have a barrel with a total length of less than 16” or be less than 26” overall.

1) overall length is measured with the stock, but fully collapsed if applicable. Folding stocks do not need to be folded. Basically, it’s measured in the shortest “functional” configured.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
3&2) once a rifle, always a rifle. You are free to shoot it without a stock, but unless you file the SBR paperwork, it can never legally have a barrel with a total length of less than 16” or be less than 26” overall.
"You are free to shoot it without a stock" is what I asked about. Don't care about a barrel less than 16" in length.

1) overall length is measured with the stock, but fully collapsed if applicable. Folding stocks do not need to be folded. Basically, it’s measured in the shortest “functional” configured.
So... if the barrel is 16" or greater and overall length is 26" or greater, a stock isn't necessary?

Ever measure overall length (16" barrel) without the stock?

Thanks. :)

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
"You are free to shoot it without a stock" is what I asked about. Don't care about a barrel less than 16" in length.

I just didn't want to leave incomplete info out there if someone else was reading this.

So... if the barrel is 16" or greater and overall length is 26" or greater, a stock isn't necessary?

Ever measure overall length (16" barrel) without the stock?

Thanks. :)

A stock is never necessary. It would just be ridiculous to have an AR rifle/carbine without a stock, other than just to see how it feels.

Lol, because it's there...?

I've just been trying to understand all the hoopla about AR pistols, especially if you can shoot a 16" barrel version with no mods.

Just bein' goofy I guess... :D

The hoopla is that you can have 90% of the fun/use of an SBR, with 0% of the legal paperwork and registration and cost.

If it weren't for the NFA rules, I think the AR pistol market wouldn't exist.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just didn't want to leave incomplete info out there if someone else was reading this.
Gotchya. Good idea. :thumb:

A stock is never necessary. It would just be ridiculous to have an AR rifle/carbine without a stock, other than just to see how it feels.
Good to know. Not sure why it's so much more ridiculous than one with only a 4" shorter barrel though. ;)

The hoopla is that you can have 90% of the fun/use of an SBR, with 0% of the legal paperwork and registration and cost.

If it weren't for the NFA rules, I think the AR pistol market wouldn't exist.
Ah ok. However... if you put a stock on an AR pistol, doesn't that make it an illegal SBR anyway? :confused:

Thanks, I really appreciate the info.
:drunk2:

k4ylr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
overall length is measured with the stock, but fully collapsed if applicable. Folding stocks do not need to be folded. Basically, it’s measured in the shortest “functional” configured.

This is incorrect. OAL is always measured with the stock fully extended and in the longest configurable length. There is still some muddy water regarding pistol braces however; so if you're going to play the OAL game for a non-NFA firearm it's best to assume fully collapsed at this time.

There are several things to consider when playing the is it a SBR, is a pistol, is it a rifle or is it a non-NFA firearm game:

• If you have a stripped lower, and it's 4473'd to you as a RIFLE (not receiver) it cannot become a pistol per the ATF.
  • If your lower is transferred as a receiver; and you assemble it as a rifle; it cannot become a pistol.
  • If your lower is transferred as a receiver and you assemble a pistol you are free to move back and forth between pistol and/or rifle.
If you have an AR, with barrel length >16" but had a stock; it's a rifle regardless what you do with the furniture.

The ATF's litmus test for a rifle is, "a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder."

Pistols have no barrel length restriction; so you could theoretically build a pistol with a 24" barrel and furnish it with a brace or pistol tube and be perfectly fine.

The real fun comes when you assemble a pistol, with a barrel length <16" but an OAL >26" AND a VFG you get a non-NFA firearm.

Latest posts

Top Bottom