AR Styles/Calibers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
DO you stock 5.56? If not what calibers do you have that you can get a AR in?
He is new to AR 15s...so can you give a little more info rather than rephrase his question.

Mac--- AR 15 comes in many different calibers. However, you asked for one that is cheap to shoot and accurate to 200 yards.
5.56/.223 meets the criteria the cheapest. Get a Wylde spec chamber and you can use either 5.56 Nato or .223 ammo in it. Ammo can be found nearly everywhere. Magazines are cheap.
7.62x39 runs neck and neck in price as 5.56/.223 and should be ok at 200 yards, although some cheaper ammo may not be as accurate as you want. 7.62x39 AR 15 can be frustrating as I hear about a higher percentage of issues in cycling in this chambering.

The 9mm AR 15 won't be accurate at 200 yards, and energy levels will be anemic at that distance.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In what caliber(s)? Seriously guys, I know very little about ARs.

Ruger and Smith typically stamp their barrels 556Nato, which is fine for 223Rem & 5.56 ammo. There's a constant heated debate online about the differences, but I've never known anyone to have a problem shooting one out of the other.

The S&W15-22 is an awesome little plinker. Everyone should have one in the safe next to their dozen 10-22's. The Mossberg 715T clones are the Taurus-esque junk equivalent, hard pass.

You can built the AR platform in a wide world of calibers, from 22lr to 338Lapua, 50BMG. Pistol calibers up to 50AE. The sky, and most often, your wallet, is the limit.

Ar-15's are cheap. Buy one, shoot it. If you don't like it, you'll easily pass it off. If you make it to Lawton, I'd be happy to take you to the range and shoot my ammo just to get a feel for it.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wow, that's quite a list. :D

I'd want something beyond the range of a 9mm carbine (> 200yds, remember?).

Which of those AR-15 calibers are 200yds+ and readily available?

EDIT: Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.
I only included the 9mm as one of the pistol caliber carbine rounds available as an example only to show the versatility of the AR platform.
To clarify some of the comments above, the .223 round can be shot in a 5.56 chamber, but the opposite is not recommended because although they look identical, the 5.56 shoulder is more forward and it can cause pressure problems in a .223 chamber.
The Wylde chamber that oklahomabassin discussed is a chamber that can accept both with no issues. All are common, you just have to decide what you want to shoot.
Bulk ammo in .223 or 5.56 is well under $300 for a thousand round now.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks guys. :)

It will take a bit to absorb all this, but I'm really thinking about buying one before long. At this point (from the recommendations/links), these seem to be among the best options for AR newbies. Correct me if I'm wrong.

- AR-15 style (lightweight, most popular).
- 5.56/.223 (preferably a Wylde chamber).
- Good quality BCG (bolt-carrier group).
- 16" standard (non-heavy) barrel.
- 1x7" twist rate for heavier bullets (55gr & up).
- Mid-length DI gas system (non-proprietary).
- Staked gas key bolts (lol, whatever that means?).
- Mil-spec buffer tube.
- Factory recommended buffer/spring.
- Mil-spec trigger (single-stage).

Still gathering data... and thanks again. :drunk2:

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dang near any off the shelf AR-15 in 5.56/.223 or the NATO barrel will meet your requirements OP. The S&W MP-15 series are a solid rifle and will give you years of enjoyment. I've owned mine since they 1st came out. Granted it is completely modded out now, but it still gets the job done.

I have AR's by S&W, DPMS and Sig. They are all very capable rifles and do what they are designed to do. Put rounds down range into targets. Hitting 200y with a .223/5.56 is pretty easy, can be done with iron sights and any $100 red dot with ease. Heck you can go even further if you want to pretty easy.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK guys... so what's the best "off the shelf" brand(s) of 5.56/.223 brass-cased ammo for accuracy? Not interested in aluminum or steel, but I am interested in heavier bullets (100gr+ soft-nosed if available).

Federal? Winchester? Fiocchi? Something else?

Thanks. :)

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OK guys... so what's the best "off the shelf" brand(s) of 5.56/.223 brass-cased ammo for accuracy? Not interested in aluminum or steel, but I am interested in heavier bullets (100gr+ soft-nosed if available).

Federal? Winchester? Fiocchi? Something else?

Thanks. :)

The heaviest 5.56 bullet I know of is the 77 grain Sierra Match King. That said, I hear of people doing well hunting deer with 70 grain, and 75 grain Nosler.

Latest posts

Top Bottom