AR Styles/Calibers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lasher

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Indoor ranges make me nervous. I've been talking seriously to the wife about buying a few acres where I could pull a small RV to it and stay the week/weekend where I can shoot my guns and sit around the campfire waiting on a pot of beans to cook. That would suit me just fine.

if i said purdy please could i drop by with some cornbread and cook off a few. i also have some nice seegars

D.M.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most AR-15's come with a 1/9 twist bbl. Some of these will shoot with heavy bullets like the 77's but
most will not. If you handload you can get up to 80gr from Sierra or Nosler. I think Berger makes a 90.
The heavy bullets are best shot through a 1/7 or 1/8 twist. If you get a 1/9 twist and it don't like the 77's
then go with Hornaday 75's they are made with the 1/9 twist in mind. The Hornaday 75's are available in
factory ammo, and in the right rifle are capable of holding the black at 500. One problem with the ultra
heavy bullets (80gr & up) is they must be seated so deep in the case to fit in the mag it eats up a lot of
powder space. That's why you don't see them in factory loadings. Hope this helps. If you want to try the
Hornady 75's, you can find them at SGAmmo or at the CMP.

D.M.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another thing about ammo is the 62gr ammo M882, green tip or SS109 or what ever you want to call it.
That stuff is just not that accurate.
A surprise to a lot of shooters is the Wolf gold, it's not that Russian crap, its made in Taiwan, and shoots
nicely out of most rifles. It's 55gr and brass cased. If you don't reload save your brass and sell it to those
who do, you can make a little money back from your shooting that way and help out a reloader.
Prvi partisan (PPU) ammo is good also. So for cheap shooting fun look for these two and buy the one that's
cheaper. They are both 55grs of fmj fun in every one.

Latest posts

Top Bottom