AR Styles/Calibers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was in the same boat as not liking those guns.
I have one now that I built with PSA freedom kit 1:7 stainless mid length in 5.56 16" barrel.
I really like it.. the part I do not like is the scope sits low.. or actually the stock where it sits against your shoulder is level with the barrel. Long neck girls have problems getting comfortable eye position.

The AR platform requires high scope rings and sometimes risers to get the scopes to a comfortable eye level.

Here is an example on one of mine.
7f32cc3bdd35281c6c0af945180c05c3.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks guys. :)

- Staked gas key bolts (lol, whatever that means?).
:drunk2:

The gas key is held to the Bolt Carrier Group by a couple of socket head cap screws.(SHCS) To lock them in place so they have no possibility of backing out causing a gas leak, a punch is used to stake the surrounding metal pushing it into the knurled head of the SHCS.
The term "properly staked" will show up a lot. If it's done right, the area that has been punched or staked will be real obvious.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The gas key is held to the Bolt Carrier Group by a couple of socket head cap screws.(SHCS) To lock them in place so they have no possibility of backing out causing a gas leak, a punch is used to stake the surrounding metal pushing it into the knurled head of the SHCS.
The term "properly staked" will show up a lot. If it's done right, the area that has been punched or staked will be real obvious.
Yeah, I've locked bolts like that myself, but I had no clue what a "gas key" is.

Still don't... :D

Anyone have a good generic AR-15 schematic (or a link to one) with the parts labeled?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, I've locked bolts like that myself, but I had no clue what a "gas key" is.

Still don't... :D

Anyone have a good generic AR-15 schematic (or a link to one) with the parts labeled?
When the round leaves the chamber, some of the gas is collected and passes through a drilled port in the barrel. Gas then goes through the gas tube under the handguard back to the gas key which sits on top of the Bolt Carrier Group. The exhaust gasses causes the bolt to cycle to the rear and cycle the action. When the bolt carrier cycles, it disengages the gas tube from the gas key while its cycling. When it cycles back into battery, the gas tube is back inside the gas key waiting on the next charge of gas to cycle the bolt carrier again. I think it's like up to 50,000 psi that comes down the gas tube into the gas key to cycle the bolt.
This is what the gas key that is properly staked looks like on a BCG, bolt carrier group. (I'm also including the acronyms that are commonly used by AR builders)

th

th

In the bottom pic you can see the gas key on the left. It's on the top left sticking out of the bcg.

Latest posts

Top Bottom