AR Upgrades

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Droff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have an AR but not submersed in all things AR. I know there a lot of folks on here that either build or modify theirs quite a bit. I don't shoot 3-gun or compete in any way, just take it to the range for shooting and plan to use it for home defense if there ever is a need for it. I may have put 500 or so rounds through this over several years but I do want to shoot on a more regular basis though.

With that said, I'd like some recommendations for a few things - as there is A TON of parts online, it's hard for me to determine 'decent for the price' because I have no experience to bump that up against. Think budget friendly for this but also want some quality to go with that.

I want to remove the A2 front sight since I have a red dot I want to run on it, so I'm thinking I need the following;

- Free floating handguard (I've got a 16" barrel) so any length and brand suggestions?
- Gas block, no idea on brand.
- Co-witness sights, flip up, I don't have a set picked out.
- While not needed, I do want to add a compensator/muzzle brake and thought maybe Troy Industries Claymore 5.56 Muzzle Brake would be decent.. or a VG6?
Any other suggestions appreciated.

While I'm not helpless, I don't have the required tools to do this so I'll be looking for someone that's capable and willing, with a cost or without.
Willing to hold the dummy end of the tape if needed.

Thanks.

jackary

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
how deep down the rabbit hole do you want to go? Check out some of the AR picture threads and figure out what style you like as far as type of rail. I prefer Mlok or quad rail.

Removing the front sight post will leave holes in the underside of the barrel where they cross pinned it in place, these are just cosmetic but something to think about. Most low profile gas blocks are pretty similar, might want to go ahead and replace the gas tube also since sometimes they get seized up on the gas block end.

I used some of the Magpul PRO back up sights on my last build and really like them, they are all metal, I also have some of their polymer backup irons that are decent Probably better options out their than the polymer ones.

I haven’t used either of those muzzle devices, I have most of my ARs with suppressor mounts that work with suppressor.

Droff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
how deep down the rabbit hole do you want to go?

Somewhat shallow gopher hole.....

I think I'd prefer an M-lok, I don't have much in the way of attachments regardless so it's just a matter of preference, not need. I've looked at several videos on removing the gas block and I would think the handguard would be long enough that the pin indentions would be covered, or am I missing something?
I'll look for some pic thread although threads can get sideways in a hurry around here.

Just in case you don't know, you can run a red dot on an AR with a front sight post.

I thought that would be the case, the front sight is fuzzy looking through the red dot. I'd like a longer rail than what I have now so the sight will need either moved or removed. If it's coming off regardless, I'd like to just leave it off.

Thanks.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, some thoughts.
Must haves:
Sling
Light
Sights/optic

Some nice to haves:
Red dot/optics
Forward gripping device
Forward direct comp/muzzle device
Suppressor
Adjustable gas block if you ever want to suppress or change loads
Ambi charging handle
45/60* safety

jackary

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Somewhat shallow gopher hole.....

I think I'd prefer an M-lok, I don't have much in the way of attachments regardless so it's just a matter of preference, not need. I've looked at several videos on removing the gas block and I would think the handguard would be long enough that the pin indentions would be covered, or am I missing something?
you are correct, I was just throwing that out because some people get OCD about things like that. MLok is nice since it allows you to add rails or attachments only where you want them and cuts some weight down. My brother in law used an Aero precision rail on his build that seemed pretty solid, I have a Geissele rail on my 16” build. There is a pretty wide range price wise when it comes to rails. The rails with built in QD sling attachment points are pretty convenient.

Latest posts

Top Bottom