AR Upgrades

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
x3 on cutting FSP.
It's there, it's free and it works. Any others open the possibility of misalignment or coming loose IMO. Now if you're building from scratch that's another thing...plus most others will use set screws that will need the barrel dimpled for maximum security.

Droff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you're going to put a longer monolithic rail on it and remove the FSP, you might as well cut it off and cold blue the marks. But I think you want to buy a new gas block regardless is what I'm hearing.

Below are good options if you want to keep your FSP.

https://midwestindustriesinc.com/two-piece-ar15-free-float-m-lok-handguard/

Again, I want a longer rail, not necessarily a new gas block, just trying to understand my options here.

I'm not swapping it for an AK but appreciate the suggestions.

So cutting off the FSP will provide enough room for a longer rail without having to go with a low profile gas block? Still not sure I want to go that route and not because of the gas block.

The rail in the link above looks like a good option (extended carbine version) but the install says I need a GI barrel nut. So will the FSP need removed to get this rail installed?

Thanks for the inputs.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Again, I want a longer rail, not necessarily a new gas block, just trying to understand my options here.

I'm not swapping it for an AK but appreciate the suggestions.

So cutting off the FSP will provide enough room for a longer rail without having to go with a low profile gas block? Still not sure I want to go that route and not because of the gas block.
Yes.
The rail in the link above looks like a good option (extended carbine version) but the install says I need a GI barrel nut. So will the FSP need removed to get this rail installed?
If you have a standard AR with an A2 FSP, you already have a "GI" barrel nut. You shouldn't have to remove the FSP. Just remove the circlip, spring, and delta ring from the barrel nut, if that's what the instructions say. Call them, they answer questions.
If you were to use the one piece rail from DD, you would have to remove it and use their barrel nut.

EDIT: Forgot to add that any of these options that require barrel removal requires you to remove the gas tube first. So buy some extra roll pins.

Last edited:

Droff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's been a bit of a learning experience but nothing wrong with that. I actually had to punch out the pins on the FSP so I could get the cap off. Instructions said to cut it off with some tin snips but that wasn't going to happen. Took my time and it ended up pretty much as expected. Thanks for all the input.

Attachments

• Before2.jpg
    Before2.jpg
    318.1 KB · Views: 0
  • NoRing.jpg
    NoRing.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 0
  • NoRail.jpg
    NoRail.jpg
    364.2 KB · Views: 0
  • NewRail.jpg
    NewRail.jpg