AR vs Shotgun for HD

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shotgun, AR or Handgun?

• Shotgun

Votes: 27 50.9%
  • AR-15/semi-auto rifle

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • Handgun

Votes: 15 28.3%

• Total voters

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What do ya'll think is best for HD?

I think Shotguns have a better incapacitation chance, but AR-15s have pretty low recoil and are useful against multiple attackers. I've heard people argue for Handguns, so that you can have a free hand for manipulation/calling 911. I wanted to see what all ya'll thought about the subject.
Use the mini 12ga shells. Still good penetration, good terminal effects, less over penetrations of walls. It’s still there just not as bad.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll take a shotgun as my weapon of choice 99% of the time for defense inside the home. Multiple attackers? Do you really think thug #2 or 3 or whatever is gonna keep coming after he sees thug #1 sprawled out on the floor with a huge hole in him? I don't; I bet they beat feet outta there as fast as they can. Now if you suck with a shotgun, and you have several bad guys determined to do you severe bodily harm or cause you death, you just might be SOL.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All depends on your situation.

For me, a suppressed handgun to get me to a suppressed AR pistol.

For fpe and terminal ballistics, long gun all the way. Anything above a .22lr is generally going to bring more energy to bear than most handguns, save for a .44mag or .460XVR.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I live in a neighborhood and with family in my house. I worry about an AR and wall penetration. The others don't eliminate that of course, but certainly lessen the possibility.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i voted for the shotgun but when the bugger man comes round the best defense starts in your head. learn to stay calm and train yourself so that you don't need to think of stuff like--- where is the safety---is this gun loaded----do i need to be in the perfrct stance----why am i doing this---.

Roy14

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I live in a neighborhood and with family in my house. I worry about an AR and wall penetration. The others don't eliminate that of course, but certainly lessen the possibility.
From the studies I’ve read, 5.56 FMJ reaches a velocity that usually causes it to fragment through multiple layers of drywall, and those studies pointed towards it being safer than a handgun caliber because a handgun caliber is slow enough to continue through the drywall and into another room. Not to say that will always happen, and it’s dependent on what ammo you choose to use, but that article definitely changed my way of thinking on the subject.
That being said, I do not use an AR for HD; even though it’s probably best suited for my scenario, I’ve never gotten to the point of an AR feeling like an extension of my body like some other platforms are. And though I live where long shots are definitely a possibility, and anyone who makes it to my door has made a concerted effort to come a half mile from the county road to do so, I am unlikely to engage at a distance beyond what a pistol or shotgun is capable of.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Any one of them is going to sound like a cannon going of inside of a building. My trusty Mossy 500 sits next to the bed and has a flashlight mounted on it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom