AR vs Shotgun for HD

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shotgun, AR or Handgun?

• Shotgun

Votes: 27 50.9%
  • AR-15/semi-auto rifle

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • Handgun

Votes: 15 28.3%

• Total voters

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What do ya'll think is best for HD?

I think Shotguns have a better incapacitation chance, but AR-15s have pretty low recoil and are useful against multiple attackers. I've heard people argue for Handguns, so that you can have a free hand for manipulation/calling 911. I wanted to see what all ya'll thought about the subject.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess I'm a fudd. I got AR's both long and short, a MPX which is tiny, pistols and all that...but I still keep a 20" 12ga pump on the ready for HD. The others arent hard to get to but that's the steady standby for me. It's hard to argue the destruction of a 12ga of 00 Buckshot at "inside the house" distances.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It comes down to personal choice and you will hear arguments for all 3. These threads usually involve lots of, this expert said this, well that experts said this. Use what you like and are comfortable with. Shotgun, AR or handgun does not really matter if you shoot it well. Personally I can not decide between a blowgun or M1 tank.

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess I'm a fudd. I got AR's both long and short, a MPX which is tiny, pistols and all that...but I still keep a 20" 12ga pump on the ready for HD. The others arent hard to get to but that's the steady standby for me. It's hard to argue the destruction of a 12ga of 00 Buckshot at "inside the house" distances.

I guess a certain part of me is afraid that if multiple attackers are present, the low-recoil 30 round AR-15 seems more pliable. but it's hard to argue with the simple effectiveness of 00 buck.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get your pistol out and face a wall, get in a decent shooting position and put the muzzle against the wall...see how much space you take up to get into a decent position with a pistol.
Do the same with a rifle. Pistols are physically smaller, but in a decent shooting position they dont buy you much space. You gain mobility in the house, sure...but its not nearly as much as people want to think.

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Get your pistol out and face a wall, get in a decent shooting position and put the muzzle against the wall...see how much space you take up to get into a decent position with a pistol.
Do the same with a rifle. Pistols are physically smaller, but in a decent shooting position they dont buy you much space. You gain mobility in the house, sure...but its not nearly as much as people want to think.

that's an interesting perspective. thanks. i'd never thought of it in those terms.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have arguments for pistols rifles and shotguns. I learn toward shotguns mainly because I'm not.bothered by recoil when engaging multiple targets and a 00 buck hit puts anything down hard. I agree you have to chose what's best for you. I also agree that trying to defend against an attack and dial 911 will take too much effort.

4play

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I always considered waking up in the middle of the night, it's real dark and you have a threat, how coordinated, focused and accurate will you be? That's why I think something like 00 buck might have an advantage. Things like shooting off the hip, shooting from strange positions, low light, moving while shooting, shooting moving targets, and you might have someone coming directly at you fast, or actually shooting back at you.

I do know one thing, it's really hard to accurately aim and shoot anything in the dark or real low light even when you are totally focused, prepared, and alert, and even with a stationary target. Then think about muzzle flash and noise, and how it affects your vision, hearing and overall alertness. There are always daylight scenarios too, some of these points go away for those. Having lights on or a light on the gun not only helps you, it helps them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom