AR vs Shotgun for HD

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shotgun, AR or Handgun?

• Shotgun

Votes: 27 50.9%
  • AR-15/semi-auto rifle

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • Handgun

Votes: 15 28.3%

• Total voters

StLPro2A

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What do ya'll think is best for HD?

I think Shotguns have a better incapacitation chance, but AR-15s have pretty low recoil and are useful against multiple attackers. I've heard people argue for Handguns, so that you can have a free hand for manipulation/calling 911. I wanted to see what all ya'll thought about the subject.
Handgun is for pre-need concealability and for fighting one's way to their long gun. Rifles are great for standoff reach out address distant threats, but a major concern regarding over penetration in an urban setting.......maybe not in the middle of Bum Fu_k Nowhere. Shotguns are great for taking care of business in close quarters/urban environs. For close quarter threats, I prefer bullpups/shorty shoty.......ala IWI TS-12 or Shockwave 590M mags with lasers and EoTech Holographic optics. Mags allow selection/switching of appropriate loads in dynamic scenarios and handling multiple threats. Limiting one to only a single platform is unwise. At all costs, never enter a fair engagement, only with overwhelmingly devastating superiority.

StLPro2A

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any one of them is going to sound like a cannon going of inside of a building. My trusty Mossy 500 sits next to the bed and has a flashlight mounted on it.
Rarely does anyone consider the ongoing affects of a discharge inside a dwelling......loss of night vision, hearing, and sensory awareness from the muzzle flash/concussive muzzle blast. Ear muff headset is a good complement to a firearm. Obviously a set that clips the blast would be great, but also a set that also amplifies tiny sounds could be a benefit in a "cat and mouse, hide and ambush" scenario. With a good muff set, the muzzle blast becomes your friend. Never heard of an intruder being equipped with noise cancelling/amplifying hearing gear or eye wear. A set of eye wear featuring instant flash canceling would be very beneficial.....like an automatic welding helmet. Anyone ever seen such eye wear??? Night vision clips the flash. Maybe a product concept. With the ear and eye protection, a blank discharge....ala flash/bang......might really give one the edge over the unprepared intruder.

Hodrod

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like a 12ga with an over folder stock with the stock in the folded position.....In the home I would fire from the hip with 00buck and I believe it would work very well in a close confined space but I hope to never have to find out if I'm right.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My Plan.....retreat or stay in the bedroom with only 1 way in or out. Phone is already there to dial 911. There is a night light in the hallway that will allow me to see anyone entering the door way without illuminating me. My handy, loaded, 12ga Benelli M3 will be adequate to hold off anyone while waiting for authorities or ME to arrive.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like a 12ga with an over folder stock with the stock in the folded position.....In the home I would fire from the hip with 00buck and I believe it would work very well in a close confined space but I hope to never have to find out if I'm right.
In close quarters, a shotgun with a 20" (or longer) barrel don't spread much.

Just sayin' ...
:drunk2:
___

Latest posts

Top Bottom