AR10 barrel length

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I was sitting here wondering. What barrel length do ya'll prefer on your AR10 and why please? I don't have any application that I was particularly thinking of. Just wanted some general thoughts about it.

Last edited:

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I started thinking I wanted 16" for the mobility. Built went a different direction and I chose a happy medium of 18".

I built another one in 16" and was amazed at how accurate it was at 300 yards on steel. 6" hangers I can go 10/10 with a run of the mil load I made up with a 175 grain BTHP.

I ended swapping the 18" barrel for a 20" and made that original M5 a longer range rifle rifle. I'm pretty happy with the results and velocity for distances at 500 and out.

If I had it to do all over again, I would have built just one and made it 16". I'm pretty sure with some time spent on a good handload, I can make that 16" ring steel at 550.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
I have 18"; mostly because it's easier to pack around than a 20". There's a difference but it's not as noticeable...one goes trans about 50m before the other. I have a 14.5" as a carbine but it goes to 800m fairly easy.

Latest posts

Top Bottom