AR15 complete build list.... need help completing.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, long story short, I inherited an older DPMS AR15 5.56 nato that has seen a few rounds. It came with an Eagle Eye Optics red dot scope and a StarTec quadrail handguard. The rest was stock until I replaced the grip with a MagPul MIAD hand grip (couldn't stand the separator on the stock handgrip). Well, I know the gun is getting old and its either upgrade it, or keep it as is and build new. Because I like to build things I decided to start piecing and pricing out a complete build. Plus I can keep my inherited rifle so I have a part of my dad with me. So far after reading a few sites here is a list I have compiled. I know I want to stick with 16" midlength barrel and sticking with 5.56 NATO. The only parts I've not selected were the buffer tube/buffer, mag release and bcg stop. And yes, before I build it I will be purchasing a build station and the tools. Here is the list. Got anything to add or opinions on what I selected, post below.

Trigger

AR-15 Velocity Trigger

Bolt

BRAVO COMPANY - M16 5.56 BOLT CARRIER GROUP

Upper/Hand Guard

Aero Precision
M4E1 Threaded Upper/ATLAS S-ONE Combo Set

Barrel

Ballistic Advantage
16" 5.56 Government Profile Midlength AR 15 Barrel, Modern Series

Gas Block
Superlative Arms Adjustable Gas Block

Muzzle break/Flash Supp/Compensator

Strike Industries J Comp

buffer/butt stock

Lower
ANDERSON MANUFACTURING - AR-15 STRIPPED LOWER RECEIVER

Mag relase

BCG Stop

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What do you want it to do?

Mostly weekend range shooting at 50 yards. I've no goals for competition, so not looking for super accuracy. I will probably fire no more than 100 rounds per outing. Just looking for something that is durable, not bottom tier, but won't break the bank. Will probably buy a piece here or there when I find a good price. Won't need this by next week or anything. Also not looking for needing tax stamps (though might apply for a can later down the road), that's why I stuck with 16" instead of building an SBR. Won't need anything fancy like a lined barrel or coated bcg. But at least I will have room for upgrades IF later down the road I want to. Right now putting a new barrel/gas block/comp on my DPMS is like putting a good sound system and $3k rims on my beatup caprice (don't own one, nor would I do that, just giving an example).

Wtf is a build station?
You mean kitchen table?

Something like a vise and the proper vise blocks for holding it while I punch the roll pins, torque the retaining bolts, etc. I replaced the grip on my current AR in my lap and decided it was about all I wanted to do without proper holding tools.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Easy as pie, man. You've got the lower, get an Anderson LPK ($40), and a UTG buffer tube kit ($40 or so), a Magpul CTR buttstock and it looks like you're done? I'm assuming that upper is complete? You could get a LPK without the trigger group, since you've got that, throw in a MIAD or something since you don't like stock pistol grips (neither do I) and get to work.

Come up here and I'll help you put it all together. I've got everything we need and a million extra parts, anything that is needed.

Don't overthink it. Just do it. ;)

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
take him up on his offer, first time is best to see and get help. save you $ on what tools to buy and whats junk or not needed

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Easy as pie, man. You've got the lower, get an Anderson LPK ($40), and a UTG buffer tube kit ($40 or so), a Magpul CTR buttstock and it looks like you're done? I'm assuming that upper is complete? You could get a LPK without the trigger group, since you've got that, throw in a MIAD or something since you don't like stock pistol grips (neither do I) and get to work.

Come up here and I'll help you put it all together. I've got everything we need and a million extra parts, anything that is needed.

Don't overthink it. Just do it. ;)

Right now the only part I have is the MIAD (will move it to the new build). And this will not be a buy the parts today, put together on sunday lol. Will probably space it out over the next year. Planning on getting the lower and upper first, then pick up the other parts as I have cash for em. I appreciate the offer, and once I get the parts together I might take you up on your offer, if anything to stand by and make sure I don't oops myself out of a new firearm.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The more crap you put on one...like all your super cool tactical MIAD is only going to take away reliability and make problems appear...but whatever.

Please point out what on that list is "crap". I got the MIAD because I don't care for the standard pistol grip, the separator between the middle and ring finger annoys me.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Here is the best deal I've found for the collapsible stock I like.

$70 for the MFT Minimalist and 7075 Mil buffer tube kit.

They also sell the Ballistic Advantage barrels.

My preference for tools:
Magpul AR-15 BEV Block $34.99 right now.http://www.primaryarms.com/magpul-ar-15-bev-block-mag536

Magpul AR-15 Armorer's Wrench $62.75 right now.

The only other tools you need is punches, and something for the roll pins. You can get roll pin starter punches; I'm going to order some at some point. The other tool that I use for that is something like these:
Kobalt-Magnum-Grip-Pliers-Set.jpg

Because the jaws close straight together, they don't launch the pins as bad as regular pivoting pliers do.