AR15 complete build list.... need help completing.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
@Tanis143 if cost is a factor and you are interested, I know of a couple of places to get some super cheap parts like handguards, buffer tube setups, stocks, etc. I've used a number of them and they are pretty damn good - not name brand, some would say cheap Chinese knockoff junk, but I've build a number of rifles with them and find them to be perfectly adequate - they just don't have the name badges on 'em. Saved me a BUNDLE on some of it. Handguards, for instance - $150-200? Gimme a frigging break.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks, makes me feel a bit better about my trigger selection. One of the reasons I went with this trigger is the fact its a drop in, don't have to worry about getting the springs put in wrong. I didn't know that the pin pattern can vary from one lower to another, so this is another reason to get a drop in if you are not getting a matched lower and trigger.
If you want to stay with the mil-spec trigger assembly, and improve it, this JoeBob trigger kit gets good reviews, and its inexpensive.
I have a couple of them hanging on the peg board in the shop that never got used as I came by a smoking hot deal on some Timney triggers for my AR's.
https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/JoeBob-s-AR15-Grip-Screw-Trigger-Adjuster-p/jb-triggeradjuster.htm

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why wouldn't you use a AR in your house? Apt or townhouse?

Yeah, thought about it, and my 9mm is probably louder lol. I just remember the last time I shot my AR without my ears on. Once was enough lol.

A A2 bird cage is all you need, but you can put on what ever you want. Before getting a comp, shoot it first. If the recoil impulse is still slightly high for you, Id get the next higher buffer weight to smooth it out. Your barrel is already a mid length so that's going to smooth out the recoil as is

I would have to find a gun store that would be willing to let me try before I buy. And I might get a birdcage to go with it. Nice thing is with this build I can upgrade or change parts out, unlike some of my current AR (DPMS pins and welds the birdcage on, so can't change it or the gas block without extensive work first).

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hrm, so the trigger is something to think about. Good news is I still have plenty of time to decide, but will look into those. Or, just might get a complete lower set from Anderson and change out the springs and add the adjuster. Thanks for adding to more research time guys :P

j/k, thanks for the input.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
The Anderson SS trigger LPK is pretty decent for a standard trigger. The CMMG LPK I have isn't much behind the ALG QMS.

Just avoid a cheapo unknown LPK and you should get a usable trigger.

I probably wouldn't buy an ALG QMS now, with the drop-ins getting down to $100 (less in some cases!). At the time I bought those, the cheapest drop in units were still over $125. So I was saving $50 which was worth it to me at the time.

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd just grab a rifle kit and slap it together, then upgrade parts as you find good deals. That's what I've done with a couple and its been pretty fun (I'm like a child and cant wait a year to gather all the parts).

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd just grab a rifle kit and slap it together, then upgrade parts as you find good deals. That's what I've done with a couple and its been pretty fun (I'm like a child and cant wait a year to gather all the parts).

Meh, that's like buying a pc off the shelf then upgrading a few things here there. I've not done that since college. Always bought my own individual parts and pieced my system together starting with an AMD K6/2 266 mhz on an AT motherboard. Just don't really care to do that.

ef9turbo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Larue's mil-spec is supposed to be pretty good. I bought one - 6 months later, it's still sitting on my desk. lol

If you're talking about LaRue's 2 stage, it's legit, my favorite. If it's still sitting there, I'd buy it off ya ;)

Also, LaRue is currently having a sale on their bbl's, might check them out. Accuracy is all in bbl, trigger and shooter. Shooting made easy, keep the sights still while pulling the trigger. A good bbl will keep you honest. ;)

Latest posts

Top Bottom