AR15 hasn't been cleaned for 7,000 rounds! Can it make it to 10k rounds?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowbaby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not even sure why anyone would even want to do this. Every rifle I have ever owned gets cleaned after every time it is shot. That is why I have rifles that can drive nails I have owned since I was a kid and all of them have mirror bores. It's also why I don't like buy rifles from other people without a bore light. Seen too many of the sadly abused to the point of useless.
I guess I am from a different age where you were lucky to even have the money to get a new rifle and when you finally did you took care of it or the old men in my family would take the damn thing away from you until you were old enough to have it. If any gun I had growing up had so much as a speck of rust on it I would have ended up with a size 10-11 boot stuck in my butt-crack. Now I guess everyone just shucks out some more dough and screws another barrel on I guess.
If I want to smooth the action or something there is Jewelers rouge or something for that to make it as butter smooth as you like, But I would never waste the money to run thousands of rounds through it just to say its smoother.

Last edited:

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not even sure why anyone would even want to do this. Every rifle I have ever owned gets cleaned after every time it is shot. That is why I have rifles that can drive nails I have owned since I was a kid and all of them have mirror bores. It's also why I don't like buy rifles from other people without a bore light. Seen too many of the sadly abused to the point of useless.
I guess I am from a different age where you were lucky to even have the money to get a new rifle and when you finally did you took care of it or the old men in my family would take the damn thing away from you until you were old enough to have it. If any gun I had growing up had so much as a speck of rust on it I would have ended up with a size 10-11 boot stuck in my butt-crack. Now I guess everyone just shucks out some more dough and screws another barrel on I guess.
If I want to smooth the action or something there is Jewelers rouge or something for that to make it as butter smooth as you like, But I would never waste the money to run thousands of rounds through it just to say its smoother.
What size nails do you drive and how far away are they.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They do it to try and get rid of the AR platforms early rep. The M-16s we were issued mid-70s could barely go 10 rounds with a failure of some kind.

Cowbaby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They do it to try and get rid of the AR platforms early rep. The M-16s we were issued mid-70s could barely go 10 rounds with a failure of some kind.
Ok I see now and thanks Rick. I never used an m-16 and didn't know that or anything else about one for that matter.
We used M-14s , M-60, M-79, .50Cal, 12GA and .45s in my branch of service. All those worked almost flawlessly usually, except the M-60 needed some work sometimes but that was usually from some knuckle head hammering it too long and got it hot. And we kept all these ship-shape at all times too.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom