AR15 Purchase Help....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey All...

I guess with all this anti-gun(AR15) talk it planted a seed in my brain about a purchase of an AR15.

YES...I have owned them in the past and that is where my problems begin.

1998-2001:
These were the years I owned several AR15 rifles....this was before I got into CLASS-III guns.

The ones I owned back then were full length, removable handle, full buttstock stock..not collapsible, I think chrome lined barrels. Colt, Bushmaster(before they changed owners) and Armalite.

Basically this style of rifle:
Colt-Ar15a4-5.56-2022-Black-30rd.jpg

Flash forward to ..RIGHT NOW. WOW!!! I didn't know everyone and their dog made an AR15!!!! I know my friends in Houston shoot Daniel Defense, Noveske and LaRue AR's.

Yesterday getting to actually handle and look at a lot of different rifles left me...well a little confused. Chromed lined barrels...not chrome lined, aluminum type handguard, plastic handguard with NO heat shield, verticle foregrip, different type and styles of barrels, variations of buttstocks.....it goes on and on.

Then ask any salesman about a "middle of the road" AR....you get a TON of different answers. Ruger sucks, Smith is good, Savage...don't know, FN is a "collectible" type of AR, SIG is an okay rifle, don't buy Bushmaster-buy Windham(new Bushmaster)....the answers go on and on...HOLY CRAP!!!!

**I know, I know....apples to oranges, Chevy or Ford...

Here's what I'm looking for:

Yes a plinker....but a "good" or "nice" one. One that if I sell or trade it's a worth-while gun. One that I'm not interested in upgrading to high heaven but one that if I decide to take off the handle and put a nice scope on or ...what I use to have if they still make them...an ACOG-Trijicon red/green dot.

Is Colt and Armilite still a worth-while AR....like I use to have? I know I have opened a can of worms on this topic and every slaesman keeps asking me what I want to spend instead of listening to me. Maybe I'm a dinosaur...who knows? Thanks.

The style I like: (with a removable handle)-New not used.

cdn.webshopapp.com_shops_6280_files_4957080_colt_colt_ar_15_sporter_target_model_kaliber_223_r.jpg

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Or do what I did, buy some tools and build one yourself. Its really not that hard. Or get with someone here and have them help. The one I built was around $1200 not including tools I purchased, but $450 of that was just the trigger. If not, do as O4L said and look at AP or PSA.

Here are a few links:

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa...arbine-556-nato-classic-ar15-rifle-black.html

https://www.opticsplanet.com/ncstar-ar15-detachable-carry-handle.html

That will give you a classic feel but with a collapsable butt stock.

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
With a Colt, there is an actual dollar value associated with the "pony" on the side. Collectors pay for more desirable roll-marks. SOCOM, Lightweight Governemt Carbine (LGC serial number prefix). SP-1's, Diemaco (not to be confused with the Colt's made in Canada) LEO serial prefix, A3 Tactical, and the list goes on. You nailed it on the head when you said it is a Ford-Chevy-Dodge argument. I have owned or played with or worked on just about every AR variant on the planet. Sig's are awesome (PM for pics and price if interested LOL). Daniel Defense, Larue, Black Rain, Northtech etc. are some of the high end ones. Unless you have a "forged" receiver, most of the uppers and lowers come from a few foundries across the nation- Alcoa, Cerro, etc. All the lower does is hold the fire control mechanism and magazine. That's why plastic and 3D printer guns go bang. The upper just holds the Barrel and BCG. If you want accuracy, spend the money on the barrel and BCG. I would determine your budget and go from there. It's a buyers market at least for now on AR's, too many people got burned in 2013 and 2014. Cheap AR's were SELLING for $2500+ back then and now a legit $2500 AR won't bring anything close to that. Figure out what you want, shop around and if you're happy, that's all that matters. And yes, Chevy's are better than Fords....

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I researched the resale a little and it is hard to get your money back on an expensive build unless the guy is just looking to
do the same thing you did.
Colt LE6920 is still a good AR but resale on it is sit and wait deal. The market is saturated with inexpensive AR's
Then you have so many different calibers to choose from and many people want the new wiz bang round.

I went the cheap path and got an 80% lower and machined it myself.. just for satisfaction purposes of doing things myself.
I then got what I was told was a very accurate kit from Palmetto. It was the Freedom stainless 16" 1:7 twist 5.56.
I tweaked the stock trigger and installed a 3-9x40 scope and in it for less than 400 bucks total.

Accuracy is my goal and it is Sub MOA to 200 yards with 55gr V-max bullets I handloaded.
I do not plan on ever selling my AR's but if I did I am sure I could get my money back.

If I spent 900 on the Colt i may be saddened during the selling.
I could be wrong though.
If Palmetto ever got the stainless kits back in stock i would get another.

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IMO, the Brownell's are a little overpriced. Everybody wants a 16" that they can tacti-cool out so you should be able to find a 20" if you have time to look around.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
This is an example of what you are looking for from PSA. Unfortunately they are temporarily out of stock. If you aren't in a big hurry you might keep checking back to see when they are back in stock, or it is easy enough to get a complete upper and a complete lower and just snap them together.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-20-classic-a2-rifle.html
87a4232621b6f0d971139e1a4d87bbd6.jpg

Here are some 20" uppers. In stock.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/ar-15/barreled-upper-assemblies.html?upper_barrel_length=1386

Here is a rifle lower. In stock.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-complete-rifle-lower-receiver-a2.html

Another rifle lower. In stock.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-pa15-complete-classic-ept-a2-lower-receiver.html

Last edited:

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Used Lwrc M6A2, some of the best values on the market. You just can’t go wrong with a quality piston gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom