AR15 training

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am preparing an Ar15 for home defense. I am looking for training for me and my wife.
My wife has very little experience with the platform and I am just an avid plinker.

Ive been looking at the ar15 classes offered by The Defensive Shooting Academy out of Tulsa.
I am sure someone here has taken them or heard about them? would you recommend these folks?
Is there an alternative in the metro area?

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've taken Carbine 1 from TDSA and I would definitely recommend it.

The first day was spent learning to disassemble, clean and zero the rifles. While that might not be interesting or fun for some folks, I believe that it directly benefited a number individuals and overall made the class run smoother for two day of training. Folks like your wife would definitely benefit this part of the instruction.

You can shoot either iron sights or optics during the class. I shot irons for 99% of the class and did just fine. But I can definitely see how a red dot optic would be advantageous on a defensive rifle setup. Quality red dots are so reliable that I would definitely consider that route in your wife's case.

It's really a rifle fundamentals class along with the opportunity to shoot the rifle from prone, seated, kneeling and standing with a few variations added into the mix.

It's definitely a good class to build confidence and familiarity with the AR rifle. You won't need a lot of fancy equipment either.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've taken Carbine 1 from TDSA and I would definitely recommend it.

The first day was spent learning to disassemble, clean and zero the rifles. While that might not be interesting or fun for some folks, I believe that it directly benefited a number individuals and overall made the class run smoother for two day of training. Folks like your wife would definitely benefit this part of the instruction.

Absolutely, and it would not hurt me either

You can shoot either iron sights or optics during the class. I shot irons for 99% of the class and did just fine. But I can definitely see how a red dot optic would be advantageous on a defensive rifle setup. Quality red dots are so reliable that I would definitely consider that route in your wife's case.

Yup, Ive got a decent red dot.

It's really a rifle fundamentals class along with the opportunity to shoot the rifle from prone, seated, kneeling and standing with a few variations added into the mix.

It's definitely a good class to build confidence and familiarity with the AR rifle. You won't need a lot of fancy equipment either.
Perfect, thanks!

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
While I'm thinking about it the more magazines you can bring the better off you'll be during class. It's lame to spend time stuffing rounds into a magazine when you could be shooting.

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Wilshire Gun offers classes ... maybe not the most convenient from Norman. They do have a great facility.

Really great idea to get training. Earlier this year I picked up my first AR. Not using it for home defense ... but it would be a great choice with the right ammo.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wilshire Gun offers classes ... maybe not the most convenient from Norman. They do have a great facility.

Really great idea to get training. Earlier this year I picked up my first AR. Not using it for home defense ... but it would be a great choice with the right ammo.

Yeah, I just got into the AR game this year too. It has major benefits over our last HD gun, a pump action shotgun. I've read that hornady makes good hd ammo.

prdator

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you'd like a small class or just 2-1, I would be up for that.. I mainly teach handgun but I'm really good with a carbine... Pm me if you like.

S

Latest posts

Top Bottom