AR15 upgrades

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You know, something interesting I found out recently about the Ferfrans CRD. The shrouded brake actually is about 70% less efficient, in terms of amount of recoil reduction, compared to the brake without the shroud. That's what TTAG determined during their first round of muzzle brake comparisons in 2014.

I can tell the directional brake on my 6.8 is definitely less effective than my open sided brakes (AAC Blackout 51T brake and BCM BattleComp 1.5), but with the possibility of using it in the field with no hearing protection or can, no way was I going to put a regular brake on it.

ShaunyP26

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can tell the directional brake on my 6.8 is definitely less effective than my open sided brakes (AAC Blackout 51T brake and BCM BattleComp 1.5), but with the possibility of using it in the field with no hearing protection or can, no way was I going to put a regular brake on it.

Mine is ******* loud regardless. I have taken it to the range 7 or 8 times now and every time someone says something to me about right after the first mag. This is my first AR so it's my only frame of reference. I shot my step-brothers Alexander Arms 50 cal Beowulf upper 10 or so years back, but that was it until now.

APH Tactical

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Personal opinion:
Unless you're rockin' a polymer lower or plan doing done SERIOUS training, as in +/-1k rounds per week, the whole anti-roll pin thing is an aesthetic accessory.
I'm not big on the plastic dust cover, and prefer a wolff buffer spring and Troy safety, but again, these are just my personal preferences.

ShaunyP26

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Personal opinion:
Unless you're rockin' a polymer lower or plan doing done SERIOUS training, as in +/-1k rounds per week, the whole anti-roll pin thing is an aesthetic accessory.
I'm not big on the plastic dust cover, and prefer a wolff buffer spring and Troy safety, but again, these are just my personal preferences.

Interesting. I had heard the anti roll pin was a must and I'll confess it does look better. Added a new drop in trigger so just did them together. Dust cover is purely aesthetics mostly, but the stock one seemed flimsy to me.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting. I had heard the anti roll pin was a must and I'll confess it does look better. Added a new drop in trigger so just did them together. Dust cover is purely aesthetics mostly, but the stock one seemed flimsy to me.

More KNS pins have broken due to the softness of the materials and weakness of drilled and tapped pins, than receivers had wallowed or egged pin holes. It's a fix searching for a problem. The only time I'd consider them is on a registered NFA lower that can't be replaced or rebuilt.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mine is ******* loud regardless. I have taken it to the range 7 or 8 times now and every time someone says something to me about right after the first mag. This is my first AR so it's my only frame of reference. I shot my step-brothers Alexander Arms 50 cal Beowulf upper 10 or so years back, but that was it until now.

Are you shooting at an indoor range? No one says anything to me when I go to the outdoor plinking range at Red Castle, regardless of which muzzle brake I'm using. Even an SJC Titan or Precision Armament M4-72 comp doesn't draw any comments. The only time someone said something is when I shot my AA .50 Beowulf with Millennium comp, and then only because I was shooting at blocks of ice. 50 caliber JHP vaporizes those blocks, and they commented on that rather than the noise.

tomthebaker

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Absolutely nothing wrong with an AR as your primary HD gun. If you're talking truly "necessary" add-ons, then you can do the following and no more:

- Weapon light with as many lumens as you can afford. Don't buy into the BS that 800 lumens is too many, because that's all it is.
- Sling
- Red dot optic
- Irons
- Some kind of blast management system that directs gasses and noise forward. A suppressor is ideal, but....

Also, that's assuming all quality, duty-grade parts. Anything above and beyond that, for my money, are wants. An SBR set up thus will be fun to shoot at the range, and will do work as an HD ratchet.
Um, have you fired an AR inside a building without hearing protection? I can feel the percussion on my eardrums through my earmuffs. No thanks.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Um, have you fired an AR inside a building without hearing protection? I can feel the percussion on my eardrums through my earmuffs. No thanks.
I RO'd a guy shooting an M4 with a Rolling Thunder brake on his rifle at an indoor range. Even with plugs and and muffs, I told him and the Match Director I would not RO him again and left the room when he shot.

Latest posts

Top Bottom