AR15

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Resize.jpg
A 6.5 Grendel I put together for well less than $800. With ARs you will get a million different opinions, I would suggest spending a little less on the rifle if it means you can spend a little more on the optic. That's just my .02 cents...which is worth nothing.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just my 2 cents...

You can easily build your own AR, but if you haven’t really been around them or don’t have a buddy that has been built one, I would just buy a factory rifle and call it good.
Agree 100%. Get there, play with it, learn the system and then upgrade.
There is a plethora of options out there. Last time I looked there was over 50 calibers available in the AR platform. Most wildcats that you've never heard of.
Stick with something you can get ammo for readily without reloading like the .223, 7.62X39, 6.5 Grendel or 6.5 SPC in short action.
If your just starting you need to know (if you don't already, and if you do my apologies) the difference in the AR platform in short action and long action.
The calibers I mentioned above are short action and fit the AR-15 platform. If you want to go to .308, 22-250, .243, 30-06, etc, you need to go to the AR-10 platform. It's much heavier and it should be to be capable of shooting the bigger cartridges.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Agree 100%. Get there, play with it, learn the system and then upgrade.
There is a plethora of options out there. Last time I looked there was over 50 calibers available in the AR platform. Most wildcats that you've never heard of.
Stick with something you can get ammo for readily without reloading like the .223, 7.62X39, 6.5 Grendel or 6.5 SPC in short action.
If your just starting you need to know (if you don't already, and if you do my apologies) the difference in the AR platform in short action and long action.
The calibers I mentioned above are short action and fit the AR-15 platform. If you want to go to .308, 22-250, .243, 30-06, etc, you need to go to the AR-10 platform. It's much heavier and it should be to be capable of shooting the bigger cartridges.
I think you meant 6.8 SPC.

When I had access to land to hunt on I began researching different calibers for the AR platform and had pretty much decided to go with the 6.8 SPC for deer, hogs, and the occasional coyote.

I no longer have access to that land so I never went ahead and got an AR specifically for hunting.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

When I had access to land to hunt on I began researching different calibers for the AR platform and had pretty much decided to go with the 6.8 SPC for deer, hogs, and the occasional coyote.

I no longer have access to that land so I never went ahead and got an AR specifically for hunting.

Yep 6.8 There are so many calibers out there, that I need someone to spell check me when running through the list. :D

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

He has that fancy 243 WSSM at 4000 fps so he forgets about us little people and our slow rounds. :)

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yotes and hogs are very different targets engaged at generally very different distances and locations, at least in my neck of the woods. I have shot many of each with my .223/5.56 AR platforms, iron sights, scope and holographic. Everyone has a different take on things, but I have gravitated to a Windham 7.62x39 AR platform with a Nikon Buckmaster scope and really love it for hogs and yotes. You will hear said that each species requires a dedicated gun or caliber or tht 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 is the ticket and that may very well be, but for me my little Windham is kinda like the 30-30 of old. Just a good all around gun down in the bottoms and around the pastures.

- Aww, baloney. That's just so they can justify having TWO guns. Ha! TWO guns...Can you imagine? :yikes2:

He has TWO of those damn guns....

- See? Whatt'd I tell ya? TWO guns. I betcha he's got over 100 rounds of ammo stashed away too! Lemmee see now...TWO guns ... 100 bullets each...dang! That's 200 bullets! One guy with an arsenal like that? Dang. :screwy:

Latest posts

Top Bottom