Are Americans working longer and harder today for the same level of overall material wealth?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here's one theory.

Real-Wages.png

Article: https://cointelegraph.com/magazine/2020/09/24/wtf-happened-in-1971

Thank Nixon. F'n ****.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do agree with the basic points in the opening statement, I think that there is something that is missed: We pay for more stuff now. We now pay for cell phones and data plans, internet service for the house, movie and music subscription services, replacing cell phones every few years, multiple vehicles, personal computers, etc. 30 years ago these things weren't something everyone had or needed, but they're a part of our society now. Before I reduced the cost of these things in my budget, I was easily paying $450 in monthly recurring expenses for these things, plus the desire to buy a computer or a second car. The cost of being normal or having things we need to get by technology wise have skyrocketed. With my soon to be business I could have started 20 years ago with an answering service, an accountant, and a checklist, now it is the norm to have an answering service, a work phone and data plan, a work computer, a website, a $1900/year in software subscription fees, an accountant, and a credit card billing service.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom