Are CCW prohibited by law at the state fair?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sted-E Ed-E

LET’S GO BRANDON!
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They have metal detectors that I set off with my belt and pocket knife. A gentleman asked me to step to the side where a lady asked me what I had. I showed her the knife and she asked if that was it, and sent me in with my knife. They sell knives at the fair so it’s not a surprise they aren’t prohibited, but if I would have had my ccw on me nobody would have been the wiser. I’m not suggesting anyone try sneaking a gun into the fair, but just saying I’m sure it happens. So definitely stay aware if you go.

tim003

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can confirm that they do have the metal detectors and “No Firearms” banner at the entrance. Plus there are at least two OKC police officers stand behind the entrance. This was last Tuesday evening. FYI, I went thru the metal detectors with a pocket knife in my pocket and that didn’t trigger the detectors, YMMV.

golddigger14s

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sheriff or somebody like that was on TV a few days before the fair saying it was illegal to carry and that they would have metal detectors set up. Wife said they did.
A lot of cops will inject their personal opinion and say it is "illegal" to do such and such. But what the actual law is and what their opinion is are usually two different things. A business can declare itself a gun-free zone but it is not technically legally binding. All they can do is ask you to leave.

Some states like TX can post a certain sign and it does carry the weight of the law.
"If business or property owners post this 11×17 “30.05” sign in a conspicuous place at each entrance, it will be illegal for a person to carry firearms without a License to Carry (LTC) on the property."
Does not apply to OK.

CutBaitNBlowSh*tUp4ALivin

I like rimfire and rimfire accessories. Yup. Mmhmm
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok maybe I'm overthinking this but I'm 100% sure that the CCW book I was given in my class specifically listed the Oklahoma state fairgrounds during the Oklahoma State Fair, by name, as a no go. Has that itself changed?
Edit to add the book is 6 years old, I need to renew next week.

Latest posts

Top Bottom