Are CCW prohibited by law at the state fair?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It was some years ago and I wanted to avoid crowds so I went on a weekday in the morning and walked around.
They had a row of food and drink vendors with tables and chairs in a shaded area under tarps.
I got a hot dog or something and sat down to eat it.
A young guy who looked like a high school kid (did not look to be 21 years old but what do I know) came along and made a bee line for the Bud Light vendor, where a carney was standing there just leaning on the counter.
The teenager was holding out some money as he approached the guy and cheerfully said out loud "How about a Bud Light??"
The carney didn't move. Still leaning on the counter and calmly replied "How 'bout I kick yer a--?"
That would-be customer was still walking toward the counter and instantly did the quickest 180 degree turn I ever saw.
I wondered if that was some underage kid they sent in there to try and buy beer.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can confirm that they do have the metal detectors and “No Firearms” banner at the entrance. Plus there are at least two OKC police officers stand behind the entrance. This was last Tuesday evening. FYI, I went thru the metal detectors with a pocket knife in my pocket and that didn’t trigger the detectors, YMMV.
Yep, me too, had a metal money clip (left knife behind) and a buddy had a large pocket knife that didn't trigger which led us both to believe it was either incompetence, or the detectors were fake.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A lot of cops will inject their personal opinion and say it is "illegal" to do such and such. But what the actual law is and what their opinion is are usually two different things. A business can declare itself a gun-free zone but it is not technically legally binding. All they can do is ask you to leave.

Some states like TX can post a certain sign and it does carry the weight of the law.
"If business or property owners post this 11×17 “30.05” sign in a conspicuous place at each entrance, it will be illegal for a person to carry firearms without a License to Carry (LTC) on the property."
Does not apply to OK.
I wonder how it would work for Texas businesses to also deny gays to a lunch counter?

The 2A is a right, and if they want to do business with THE PUBLIC, even if the business is owned privately, they should not be able to deny rights...If it is a place such as your house for a party or something, then I can agree that you should be able to deny a legally armed person to come there because you are not a business engaged in commerce with the public.
I quit going to the fair over a decade ago.
I did for awhile, but some of that food is too hard to miss. The cinnamon rolls are the best I've ever had...too bad the prices are so high.

CutBaitNBlowSh*tUp4ALivin

I like rimfire and rimfire accessories. Yup. Mmhmm
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wonder how it would work for Texas businesses to also deny gays to a lunch counter?

The 2A is a right, and if they want to do business with THE PUBLIC, even if the business is owned privately, they should not be able to deny rights...If it is a place such as your house for a party or something, then I can agree that you should be able to deny a legally armed person to come there because you are not a business engaged in commerce with the public.

I did for awhile, but some of that food is too hard to miss. The cinnamon rolls are the best I've ever had...too bad the prices are so high.
Follow the vendors themselves on social media, silver dollar concessions iirc, it'll tell you where they park that's a lot easier to get to, like some rodeos

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IIRC OK2A posted an update that said firearms were prohibited, but in order to be illegal they had to have,

Signs posted
Metal Detectors
Officers present at the entrance.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IIRC OK2A posted an update that said firearms were prohibited, but in order to be illegal they had to have,

Signs posted
Metal Detectors
Officers present at the entrance.

Different section of the SDA code that pertains to:

TITLE 21 § 1277 UNLAWFUL CARRY IN CERTAIN PLACES
7. Any property set aside by a county, city, town, public trust with a county, city or town as a beneficiary, or state governmental authority for an event that is secured with minimum-security provisions.

TITLE 21 § 1290.22 BUSINESS OWNER’S RIGHTS
allows the carry of firearms to be prohibited during the fair as a specific exclusion.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am not a lawyer, so the comments by this person seems to indicate that there may be future actions to limit "gun free zones." In essence, he cites the Supreme Court in saying that there are only four "places" where firearms can be restricted. That said, I suspect it might take legal action to get such restrictions elsewhere from those four places lifted.

Latest posts

Top Bottom