Are minibikes the cheapest way to get into power sports?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I grew up with 3-wheelers, dirt bikes, mopeds, go karts, etc. However, I later moved into water craft and then got out of that as I got older. Now I am interested in getting back into land-based power sports, but there are so many choices and I am not looking to invest heavily unless the family decides to later. So for the time being, I have been looking at some of these mini bikes, especially the customized ones that people take off-road that I would have never considered for that purpose before.

Can anyone comment on power sports options for the budget minded, and specifically mini bikes if you have one? Thanks

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
buy a jeep start slow and cheap less modifications the better and start going to some events. play in the kiddie pool for a while and learn from the pro's. you can have fun just watching and helping.

RustyW

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any hobby is as expensive as you make/let it be. Are you somewhat mechanically inclined? Being able to fix breakdowns yourself is a huge benefit. I'm 51 and started riding motorcycles when I was 13. Dirt bikes were cheaper to maintain than my roadracing bike so I quit roadracing and stuck to dirt bikes. Had a 4x4 phase and went mudding, trail riding, rock crawling. That didn't last long...too expensive for me. I have a street bike that I ride on nice days and when my knees/hips will allow. Motorcycles are hard on the body after nearly 40 years. I'm not familiar with the mini bikes you have in mind but an xr100 is a blast even for us old pharts

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
buy a jeep start slow and cheap less modifications the better and start going to some events. play in the kiddie pool for a while and learn from the pro's. you can have fun just watching and helping.
Been into those for years, sold my most favorite one when covid started, but I still have others that could be projects. Lotta time, work and cost so as I got older, I realized I wasn't ever going to make them into what I wanted. Just haven't been off roading in years.
Any hobby is as expensive as you make/let it be. Are you somewhat mechanically inclined? Being able to fix breakdowns yourself is a huge benefit. I'm 51 and started riding motorcycles when I was 13. Dirt bikes were cheaper to maintain than my roadracing bike so I quit roadracing and stuck to dirt bikes. Had a 4x4 phase and went mudding, trail riding, rock crawling. That didn't last long...too expensive for me. I have a street bike that I ride on nice days and when my knees/hips will allow. Motorcycles are hard on the body after nearly 40 years. I'm not familiar with the mini bikes you have in mind but an xr100 is a blast even for us old pharts
Yeah I can turn wrenches...don't like to anymore though unless I have to. Checkout youtube and some of the coleman bike mods and the mini bike overlanding.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm still riding three and 4 wheelers after years of street and dirt bikes.
Are you looking at some of the mini's like the Yamaha fat cats, and Roku's that are designed to be offroad?

Latest posts

Top Bottom