Are mobile phones sissy-ish?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlongCameJones

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A man I knew in the 1990's said it was unmacho for a man to have a cell phone. I bought my very first in 1996. A Motorola flip phone. I was 32 then. I told this man it's handy for car breakdown emergencies and he said, "Well, Peter, you're a BIG GUY!" Yes, big fat guys have most of the heart attacks, you know.

Motorola had a poster in a local phone center back in the '90's claiming its phones were "a girl's best friend". The campaign poster was black and white with a younger woman dressed up like a 1920's flapper holding a cell phone. The feminine association with the telephone and gabbing, you know.

Last edited:

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Cell phone is a money maker for construction folks ........... People can have any opinion they want and you know the old adage "opinions are like a..... well you get the point. :cool:

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
it's handy for car breakdown

Yea I was told that but I still never had a cell phone or flip phone or pager.
I try and buy cars I know are reliable or build my own cars from multiple manufactures taking the best of the best of the best.

I am a tight wad and even if it was free I hate the things.
How much money is one???
Does not come with how to use instructions.. warranties are crap if you break it.

I would break it all the watches i ever wore broke in days not weeks.
New glasses on my face bought in August have been stomped 2 times and fell to the concrete at least 6 times.
My luck with new stuff sucks.

I drive old stuff I will live in the old ways as much as I can stand.
Yea I have a computer on a desk.
A house phone right beside it.

That is about as far as I want to go.

People are very addicted to things and that phone is one of them.
As bad as booze or marijuana ...

Pot Stirred :)

Back under my rock I go.

Many use them as a tool for work and I have no issues with people owning them.. but I do wish people would hang up and drive.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Yea I was told that but I still never had a cell phone or flip phone or pager.
I try and buy cars I know are reliable or build my own cars from multiple manufactures taking the best of the best of the best.

I am a tight wad and even if it was free I hate the things.
How much money is one???
Does not come with how to use instructions.. warranties are crap if you break it.

I would break it all the watches i ever wore broke in days not weeks.
New glasses on my face bought in August have been stomped 2 times and fell to the concrete at least 6 times.
My luck with new stuff sucks.

I drive old stuff I will live in the old ways as much as I can stand.
Yea I have a computer on a desk.
A house phone right beside it.

That is about as far as I want to go.

People are very addicted to things and that phone is one of them.
As bad as booze or marijuana ...

Pot Stirred :)

Back under my rock I go.

Many use them as a tool for work and I have no issues with people owning them.. but I do wish people would hang up and drive.
Did not say I like a cell phone , it just makes/saves me money!! I am still ready to bounce it off a wall most days. :cool:

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
are they sissy-ish? i don't think so.

it's like any other tool designed to make our lives easier. the reality is that the cell-phone is the most cost effective thing i own, and if you're a working man it's almost a necessity given that many jobs require one. It's also a self-contained safety device. Being able to call emergency services when you have a heart attack is not sissy, or having a tool that can take pictures, be a flashlight, a calculator and give you access to basically unlimited information anywhere you are. the modern Smartphone is honestly a tool every man should have. and honestly, for many people(work-related/health/safety) a necessity.

i mean, i simply would not be able to do my job without a smartphone. A lot of the things that we used to use back in the old'n days before cell phones are simply not available anymore. Where can you buy a map? Are you gonna make an iternerary ? how will your work react to the 'i don't believe in cell-phones' bit?

these days, modern information technology(computer, internet access, cell-phone etc.) are simply necessities, and it will only become more so as time goes on. the days when you could get by with just a beeper are gone forever, and they're not coming back. like the days before automobiles and incandescent light bulbs.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I suppose I could still hate one and make money with it all would be a tick better.
I hated computers but made money with one and have kept one for many years .

AlongCameJones

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

it's like any other tool designed to make our lives easier. the reality is that the cell-phone is the most cost effective thing i own, and if you're a working man it's almost a necessity given that many jobs require one. It's also a self-contained safety device. Being able to call emergency services when you have a heart attack is not sissy, or having a tool that can take pictures, be a flashlight, a calculator and give you access to basically unlimited information anywhere you are. the modern Smartphone is honestly a tool every man should have. and honestly, for many people(work-related/health/safety) a necessity.

i mean, i simply would not be able to do my job without a smartphone. A lot of the things that we used to use back in the old'n days before cell phones are simply not available anymore. Where can you buy a map? Are you gonna make an iternerary ? how will your work react to the 'i don't believe in cell-phones' bit?

these days, modern information technology(computer, internet access, cell-phone etc.) are simply necessities, and it will only become more so as time goes on. the days when you could get by with just a beeper are gone forever, and they're not coming back. like the days before automobiles and incandescent light bulbs.

I had a pager, beeper, a short time in the late 1990's early 2000's. I was living with a bedridden older uncle for a while and he wanted to be able to get a hold of me during emergencies. I thought is was more compact and economical than a cellular. I was turned off by the then expensive cell service fees and roaming charges and had abandoned cell phone use for a few years. At one time I had a Trac Fone. Now, I have a cheap $8.86/mo. Tello Mobile and a refurb Moto E6 from Motorola. The smartphone is the swiss army knife of electronic gadgets. I have a calculator when I need to crunch numbers and a camera to snap pics at an accident scene, lord forbid I have to.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Nailed it!
I ran a side business off a cell phone for years. I could create invoices, create contacts, print documents from a thousand miles away, research issues, keep track of mileage and so on for business purposes.
If used in a business, its tax deductible so I can't see the down side of owning one.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carried a company provided pager for many, many years for work.

When was the last time you saw a pay phone?

There isn't an hour that goes by that I wouldn't like to toss it out the car window, but I couldn't do my job as well or as easily without one.

It's not as good a calculator as a calculator. It's not as good a flashlight as a flashlight. It's not as good of a computer as a computer. etc, etc, etc but I don't have to wear a tool belt or carry a brief case with me every where I go either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom