Are mobile phones sissy-ish?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cell phones have long since moved from emergency lifeline to daily productivity tool. It will still work as a lifeline in a pinch, but people use them far more often to accomplish tasks they couldn't accomplish before.

Yeti695

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Cell phones have long since moved from emergency lifeline to daily productivity tool. It will still work as a lifeline in a pinch, but people use them far more often to accomplish tasks they couldn't accomplish before.
This is very true, I couldn't run my business without one, or even most of my day-to-day life. I have no landline anymore.

ramco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
are they sissy-ish? i don't think so.

it's like any other tool designed to make our lives easier. the reality is that the cell-phone is the most cost effective thing i own, and if you're a working man it's almost a necessity given that many jobs require one. It's also a self-contained safety device. Being able to call emergency services when you have a heart attack is not sissy, or having a tool that can take pictures, be a flashlight, a calculator and give you access to basically unlimited information anywhere you are. the modern Smartphone is honestly a tool every man should have. and honestly, for many people(work-related/health/safety) a necessity.

i mean, i simply would not be able to do my job without a smartphone. A lot of the things that we used to use back in the old'n days before cell phones are simply not available anymore. Where can you buy a map? Are you gonna make an iternerary ? how will your work react to the 'i don't believe in cell-phones' bit?

these days, modern information technology(computer, internet access, cell-phone etc.) are simply necessities, and it will only become more so as time goes on. the days when you could get by with just a beeper are gone forever, and they're not coming back. like the days before automobiles and incandescent light bulbs.
My wife and I are in our 70s. She has never touched a computer keyboard, received or sent an email or a text message. I envy her. My latest abortion of a computer is currently in the shop and will have to be replaced. My computer and “smart” phone are necessities for me (business) and have been the source of about 90% of the frustration in my life. When I replace my current computer, it may become the recipient of at least one 30 round mag of 5.56. I despise them.

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife and I are in our 70s. She has never touched a computer keyboard, received or sent an email or a text message. I envy her. My latest abortion of a computer is currently in the shop and will have to be replaced. My computer and “smart” phone are necessities for me (business) and have been the source of about 90% of the frustration in my life. When I replace my current computer, it may become the recipient of at least one 30 round mag of 5.56. I despise them.

90% of the frustration in your life? i'm curious about your perspective and what you mean by 'frustrations'.

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I suppose I could still hate one and make money with it all would be a tick better.
I hated computers but made money with one and have kept one for many years .

i don't understand why some folks here consider computers 'sissy' and hate them. What is it about computers that you hate?

Hawgman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was at the fair a couple days ago (I know, I know I’m an idiot for going. Everybody who goes gets robbed and beaten half to death, foods expensive, blah, blah, blah) and was watching the Morgan horse show and the dog/rider herding competition. Most of the cowboys had cell phones on their belts. It’s not rational but it struck me as odd. Especially the older gents. BTW, watching those herding dogs do their stuff is a sight to behold.

Last edited:

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My late uncle was like some of you. He did not want a cell phone either. When I asked him why his response was to the effect that 'every time you see someone driving down the road, they have one of GD things stuck in their effing ear'. He also claimed that he couldn't hear on them, yet my hearing was a lot worse than his and I heard in them all right.

I have them for emergencies and carry an iPhone with me. It is how I adjust my hearing devices. An app was installed that enables the iPhone to do this.

However, I don't let it rule my life. I control it; it doesn't control me.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
Let me know when ya start killin' rattlesnakes with it... :D

Hope you're doing well.
:drunk2:
___
Ha! It's possible that I'd use one as a projectile on a rattler, cuz there's no way that I'd get close enough for anything else.

I'm doing good! After a case peer review, I'm onto radiation and light chemo now. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom