Are Oklahoma sheriffs complying with Oklahoma's new "shall sign" NFA law?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cougar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As many of you know, a new Oklahoma law went into effect on November 1, 2014 that requires chief law enforcement officers to process, sign, and approve all necessary NFA forms submitted by a person who is not prohibited, by law, from receiving the applied for NFA item. This law makes Oklahoma a "shall sign" state.

Is anyone aware of any unlawful refusals to sign since the law went into effect?

Here is a link to the new statute on OSCN:

http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/deliverdocument.asp?id=473835&hits=

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just ask which ever SOT you'll be using for the transfer. They'll be able to help you out. There are several places in the OKC metro to get it done. It should cost you anywhere from free with purchase of NFA item to $200-250 for paying a lawyer.

Cougar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didn't realize there were still people that bought NFA items without a trust.

Due to the president's executive order, trusts will require the chief law enforcement officer's signature just like an individual does. The executive order hasn't been implemented quite yet, but it most likely will be, and this Oklahoma law was passed to address the issues that will occur once the executive order is in effect.

Cougar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

AbundantEntropy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just ask which ever SOT you'll be using for the transfer. They'll be able to help you out. There are several places in the OKC metro to get it done. It should cost you anywhere from free with purchase of NFA item to $200-250 for paying a lawyer.
What kind of trust does it require? Wonder if my employers prepaid legal plan would cover it.

Barrett

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You could right the trust up yourself, follow some forms or outlines you find online or ask pre-paid legal. It wasn't to big of a deal. I am in one with another guy from work and his dad & brothers....more so, as we each have different stuff, like say a 7.62 can, a 5.56 can, a 300 BLK SBR, and a 5.56 SBR....anyone in the trust (trustees) can have the items with them...or I could take them all to the range without all the trust members there.

I would advise to inquire about a trust, you can leave out that it is for NFA items.

Latest posts

Top Bottom