Are Oklahomans Armed In The Open 1 Year After Open Carry Became Legal?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have seen from 6-10 (i.e. a few sightings but not very many) beside the ones worn by Lawton FGST lunch regulars.
Locations have been mixed - at Home Depot and Lowes, at Academy, in two restaurants, and in the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Management Area. Oh yes, at least one shop owner in Medicine Park regularly open carries in his store.

I have seen no irresponsible handling or anything like that but don't really recall whether the holsters had thumb break straps or other retention devices.

CharlieMurphy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I open carry when I ride my bike though I do try and conceal it. I haven't found a concealed holster comfortable enough when I ride. Maybe a P238 in my jacket pocket would work. The other situation is if I am moving large amounts of cash or precious metals I might to discourage confrontation. Besides that, I have a commander length Dan Wesson 1911 the I wear in a normal holster and just pull my shirt or jacket over it and it disappears nicely.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What do you consider retention?

Anything. A clasp over the top to hold the gun in the holster, even a shoestring, for God's sake ... these guys (more than a few of them) had Uncle Mike's holsters clipped on their belts just flopping away. One had his stuck in his back pocket. :nolike: One was a nice leather holster that matched his belt ... but again the holster had no retention device at all. In my mind, that's okay if you are carrying concealed but just asking for trouble if you are carrying openly ... Of course, it is obvious they all think differently than I do ...

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All things are not as they appear.
Safariland makes retention that you can't even tell is on the holster.
As I thought, thumb straps are expected here.
Right to keep and bear secured arms.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In all my trips in and through Oklahoma, I have never seen anyone open carrying, and the only time I seem to go to WalMart is when I am in OK. I have visited the WalMarts in Alva (twice), Edmond (twice), and Shawnee (once), and I was buying batteries for my game cams every time.

I am not a holster expert by any means, but I believe the "locking feature" on a Fobus (and many kydex holsters) is considered "retention". I know that mine locks pretty tight, and no one is just going to walk up and snatch my gun out of it. I only carry the OWB Fobus when I am hunting, and I carry a kydex IWB under my shirt in public.

Latest posts

Top Bottom