Are Oklahomans Armed In The Open 1 Year After Open Carry Became Legal?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sixpack73

New to the site!
Reaction score
"the hidden hybrid holsters but they don't offer a retention strap"

IWB??... the retention is the pressure on the gun/holster from the belt

Welcome... ;)

I meant a thumb break style for wearing open owb. I want something that makes it more difficult for others to remove the firearm (ie by surprise, from behind, etc.)

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All things are not as they appear.
Safariland makes retention that you can't even tell is on the holster.
As I thought, thumb straps are expected here.
Right to keep and bear secured arms.

I know a safariland holster when I see one. I also know an Uncle Mike's holster when I see one ... But yeah, what do I know ... I'm just a gurl ... carry on ...

BTW, if I'm following you up and down the aisles it's to get a good look at your holster (not to get a good look at you, you Neanderthal ... stop primping and pay attention to that guy with his pants hanging down to his knees who is standing RIGHT ****ING NEXT TO YOU IN THE BAKING AISLE!!!!! )

I have stated here more times than I can count (not that some of you guys care obviously) that I don't care if you open carry or conceal carry, what I care is that you carry however you want to responsibly and get some decent training ... Christ ... :rolleyes2 But THAT'S too much to ask ... again ... obviously ...

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I prefer open carry for a couple reasons:
1. I personally think it helps with public perception when people see an armed citizen and nothing bad happens. Double points if you are very polite and they remember the nice person they ran into today at the store who was carrying.
2. In some cases, it can deter trouble from ever happening.
3. It is typically more comfortable for me.

I agree especially on the comfort part. I conceal when I go out of state, I have an Uncle Mikes IWB and a VersaCarry. They work ok but seem to shift and sit wrong for me especially when I go to sit down.

Open carry I use a Blackhawk Serpa set close to a FBI cant attacked to my belt. If you see me carrying you would still probably not notice all that much, it sits on my right side and 90% of the time my right forearm rests right across the grip so all that is really seen is the holster. If I grab my wallet or need the use of both hands is about the only time you will see much more than that.

I have open carried all around Guthrie and Edmond, been to OKC a bit but not much. Went to Chilli's in Edmond on Halloween and was carrying then as well as at Target. Every once in a while I will get a look from a soccer mom or someone that looks like a stoner otherwise most people are business as usual. When my wife was at the heart hospital and I went to get a couple things before heading home I heard a woman comment that I was carrying, overheard her boyfriend, husband, friend whomever he was say something about it being legal in Oklahoma and talked with them a few on the way in. He was wanting to get a permit and said his brother already had one in another state, they both thought it was "cool."

My first time open carrying I went to the store to get something for my wife and when I came out someone needed their car jump started. I have helped others out since then as well, I generally carry a decent tool set with me in my truck so if someone is having problems I make sure to try and stop and ask if there is anything I can do even if its to loan them a wrench or a small floor jack to be safe. I just feel safer doing it now so I will be even more likely to help out which in turn puts a nicer face on the people who do carry IMHO.

raeken45

Made of wrongthink
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have seen a few around town. Just a few weeks ago i was with the family and my wife saw her first guy open carry. She was excited to finally see one, I carry concealed. I told her I was glad I could be with her for her first time!

Arin Morris

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Probably going to see a lot less in the next few months due to the season change. The coat I'm using this year restricts my ability to carry at the waist, so I'll be looking for a shoulder holster for Christmas.

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK, let's do some math here: (approximations)

Population of Oklahoma: 3,814,000
Population under 18: 25% of 381400 = 953500
Population over 18 then is: 2,860,500

Concealed Carry permits: 186,000 (yes, I know you have to be 21. I just couldn't find a citation for population OVER 21)

Therefore: 1 out of every 15 adults in Oklahoma have a Concealed carry permit.

Not bad.

Dave

And 51,491 are felons that are not allowed to legally carry.

Latest posts

Top Bottom