Are Oklahomans Armed In The Open 1 Year After Open Carry Became Legal?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Personally, even though I prefer CC, I fully support OC as a right. As I have said here before on this forum, just about the only time that I OC is on my farm or on my house.

And no, I have never seen anyone OC around here in Grant County nor have I when I go to Enid, which I do fairly often.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The accidental brandishing is just a bonus. But if you read the law it was clearly revised to allow OC if you chose to. That being said you don't see many folks OC'ing. But I've noticed a lot of less restricted cover since it's passed. :saywhat:

tulsanewb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have only seen a couple of people open carrying, and unfortunately, they were the type to give gun owners a bad name and increase public ridicule of carrying guns. The first guy was carrying a Glock in Academy with an Uncle Mike's IWB holster that he was wearing OWB as a cross-draw holster... needless to say the gun was flopping around and one good jostle away from falling out. The second guy was at Wal-Mart (another Glock, this time with a Blackhawk holster) and wearing a shirt filled with holes in it, tatted up with "amateur" tattoos, and had his pants around his hips with his boxers hanging out... I'm surprised the pants stayed up with the weight of the gun. His manner of dress aside, the main reason I say he did not represent carrying well was he was cussing up a storm and yelling at the woman and kids with him using inappropriate language, especially to direct at children.

Alvindadio

Reloader
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't seen anyone open open carry, but i have been to many of the places people have reported seeing it done, but have not personally seen it happen. I like the accidental exposure benefit for concealed carry. I was ammused at the sign at iHOP that requested no open carry.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't seen anyone open open carry, but i have been to many of the places people have reported seeing it done, but have not personally seen it happen. I like the accidental exposure benefit for concealed carry. I was ammused at the sign at iHOP that requested no open carry.

I always thought that was a nice compromise for a business.
It's like "We repect your right to carry, but appreciate you not spooking the sheeple."
^^^ This. I don't think that IHOP is being unreasonable. Some people are still made somewhat uncomfortable at seeing openly-armed civilians and those who carry can still conceal them.

Yes; a very good compromise.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"With all the government snooping and monitoring going on, I have been reluctant to get either a CCW or Open carry permit. Once your name is in the database, they can track you when Obama declares Martial Law. Guess the old phase "I may be paranoid, but that does not mean the Government is not out to get me." Oklahoma is a great place. I like it better than Texas, where I was born and raised."

Track someone down Knowing they are armed......?
May not be a good idea.... ;)

FamousAJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK, let's do some math here: (approximations)

Population of Oklahoma: 3,814,000
Population under 18: 25% of 381400 = 953500
Population over 18 then is: 2,860,500

Concealed Carry permits: 186,000 (yes, I know you have to be 21. I just couldn't find a citation for population OVER 21)

Therefore: 1 out of every 15 adults in Oklahoma have a Concealed carry permit.

Not bad.

Dave

my mind = blown.

I've seen no more than 10. about 4 at wally world (two in one trip for a total of 3 OC'ers, i was the third), one at hooters - it looked like a floppy pancake when he walked out, 2 at crest (probably danny tanner), one while doing an ftf, one at gamestop and one at academy, he was shopping for a new holster.

The accidental brandishing is just a bonus. But if you read the law it was clearly revised to allow OC if you chose to. That being said you don't see many folks OC'ing. But I've noticed a lot of less restricted cover since it's passed. :saywhat:

Ya, I bend to the lower shelf at lowes for all my lumber and lightbulb needs. gun gets hot, needs a drafty wind every once in awhile.

I CC and OC, depends on what I'm doing, wearing, who I'm with etc...

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
But I've noticed a lot of less restricted cover since it's passed. :saywhat:

I care a lot less about my cover now. I usually carry a full size XD45 and a spare mag in a horizontal carrier. To me, I print a lot - but I've never had anyone say anything, even at the last OKC FGST dinner at BJ's. Even at church, I've never had anyone mention it, including when I've had to do a lot of moving and bending to reroute cables or set up different stages or apply gratuitous amounts of fishing line and electrical tape.

People just aren't very observant, really.

Latest posts

Top Bottom