Are Oklahomans Armed In The Open 1 Year After Open Carry Became Legal?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have seen 2 guys open carry in my laundromat since we opened last March; both using nice holsters, which is how I knew (or figured) they were legal. I have been conceal carrying for 17 years so I watch for this. I think almost no one else in the laundry noticed anything, if they did they said nothing.
Open carry is OK by me, but I cannot do it, at least not in Edmond. Since I teach at UCO, I have to keep it somewhat quiet. If I ever have to use it, I likely lose my job, but that is
better than being dead.
I've never seen anybody bolt from Walmart when somebody with an OC comes in.
They probably thinks its a cop or something as I'm sure they are not familiar with Ok sda laws.

Liberty addict

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
At least for the 2 guys I saw, yes they were open carrying but you had to look closely to see that. Indeed, someone not really paying attention might well think they were carrying a smart phone on their belt. Or, like you said if they saw it was a gun they likely thought it was a cop.

Liberty addict

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do not think open carry makes that much difference, except to maybe wake up a few antis. Long ago before OK had open carry (just concealed carry), I walked into Walmart with my AIWB Glock exposed. But soon after entering, I covered it up. Sometimes I think one could duct tape a Glock to your forehead the way folks just pay no attention.

I like open carry, and I welcome our brothers in carry. I hope to be around when some anti freaks out that someone is carrying. Love to set them straight!

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do not think open carry makes that much difference, except to maybe wake up a few antis. Long ago before OK had open carry (just concealed carry), I walked into Walmart with my AIWB Glock exposed. But soon after entering, I covered it up. Sometimes I think one could duct tape a Glock to your forehead the way folks just pay no attention.

I like open carry, and I welcome our brothers in carry. I hope to be around when some anti freaks out that someone is carrying. Love to set them straight!

Not me; I don't want to make anyone freak out if they happen to see my handgun. What good does that serve?

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dont get holster snobbery. I can afford pretty much anything I want in life but I'm kind of frugal. I have a less than $40 Desantis nylon holster that I wear when I do OC that I like. Winter I have a nylon shoulder holster I wear under a hoody, wasn't very expensive. My IWB wasn't that expensive either. And I'm as legal as I need to be. Maybe I'm missing something.

(Tapatalk)- on the road.

loudshirt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It wouldn't have been "brandishing" - It would have been "Unlawful carry of unconcealed weapon" (or similar wording).

I totally agree. It just makes me laugh every time, usually on the first page of an oc vs cc thread, someone says "I am glad they passed oc now I dont have to worry about brandishing", or now I dont worry about "printing".

kinggabby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Every once in a while I see someone here in Duncan OC. I still only cover when I have to. As posted no one seems to notice most of the time but when they do it is positive. Even when I take my daughter to the park I have no issues.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
saw a handful, in more rural areas I am less prone to cover and in colorado I didn't cover at all. Saw a gent yesterday at kinkos out in the open.

Okie1907

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dont get holster snobbery. I can afford pretty much anything I want in life but I'm kind of frugal. I have a less than $40 Desantis nylon holster that I wear when I do OC that I like. Winter I have a nylon shoulder holster I wear under a hoody, wasn't very expensive. My IWB wasn't that expensive either. And I'm as legal as I need to be. Maybe I'm missing something.

(Tapatalk)- on the road.

I'm ok with inexpensive as long as it works. I don't get it either but I do get where they are coming from if it's cheap. Long as the user has the ability to draw the gun safely and the holster has proper retention I could care less how it looks. Just has to work. That being said I doubt I would OC In a nylon holster, if I even OCed at all..

Latest posts

Top Bottom