Are rifles redundant/Pointless?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RustedBeef

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I picked up my third gun earlier which is now my home defense gun. It's a Maverick 88 shotgun that I got on the cheap and seems pretty great. It's nice because now I have a gun for all the purposes I wanted. My SW 637 fits into my ankle holster and serves as my deep concealment gun for work, my compact size PX4 Storm is my primary carry in addition to the snubby, and now I have a dedicate home gun. Now I'm trying to think of another reason for a new gun.

A friend at work mentioned I should pick up a rifle next, and I've been playing with the idea, but I'm not understanding what function a rifle will serve me. I can't exactly lug it around and shotguns are supposedly the ultimate home defense guns, so what else does that leave? I'm not all that into just shooting for the hell of it, so I don't really have a range gun or much wanted one either. All the guns I have I bought to fill a specific role for me, so what should I expect to do with a rifle if I ever get one? Are they really just essentially toys you take to the range since other types of guns do everything else better?

furlong222

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMO....the hand guns are for short notice - close in self defense - and, so you can fight your way back to your rifle if its serious trouble....pick up a 30-30 and a 22 then you can deal with most of what you'll face in an emergency - self defense/survival situation - everybody needs a rifle -

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is this real life?

Pistol rounds are very under powered and the shotty has range/accuracy issues past 100 yards. Some/any form of center fire rifle is a minimum of any American. I'd list all the reasons why, however I'd believe we all know, or this group has really turned to chit as far as advise.

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most folks probably don't have a clear line of fire more than 100 yards (if that) from their residence anyway.

If you truly expect to battle LE or a military force, then you might want a rifle. However, I don't think the OP had the apocalypse in mind when he started this thread.

Real life indeed. :rolleyes2

Long Clear line of sight or not, the diff in power, speed, and accuracy in a rifle is the diff maker.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom