Are rifles redundant/Pointless?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A rifle is still a valid self defense weapon. After all, LEOs carry AR15 rifles into buildings during search warrants (sometimes). To be fair, a handgun and shotty will take care of most self defense needs.

However, if you want something for a SHTF/survival scenario, a rifle will allow you to take medium to large game. It doesn't have to be anything extravagant; it doesn't even need to be scary and black. A good lever action 30-30 has already been mentioned and is a good choice. So would a SKS.

RETOKSQUID

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would recommend a good quality .22, and a .30 cal rifle to complement your shotgun and hand guns. It doesn't matter if it is a pump, bolt, lever or auto loading action, as you have stated that the firearms you have now meet your needs when it comes to self defense. The reason that I say this is that there may come a time when you do have the desire to participate in range shooting or teaching others to shoot (kids, spouse etc.).

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Everyone knows that citizens don't need hi-cap weapons or assault rifles anyway. You gun-crazies need to just turn 'em in.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Above all, I'd pick a rifle. Collapsible stock for working around corners quickly and available for longer distance work.
I shoot both rifle and pistol in Steel Challenge comps against the clock. I consistently get better times with the rifle.
In the real world I've killed deer with both pistol and rifle. The kill factor and internal damage goes to the rifle to get the job done quicker.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Unless you like to hunt or target shoot, there's really no need for a rifle IMO. Handgun(s) & shotgun(s) should be adequate for close-range self defense.

As usual, just my :twocents: ...

EDIT: It seems you can get a rifled "slug" barrel w/sights for that model 88, which would make it a formidable hunting weapon up 100 yards or so. Otherwise, 00 buck is probably good to around 50 yards. Just a thought.
Unless you have one big ass hand gun, you better have a rifle unless you think up close is better than taking care of a threat blocks away. Remember a rifle takes the fight to them where they are not to where you are.
Precision shots at distance.
Clint Eastwood movie quote "Man with a rifle meets a man with a gun the man with the rifle wins" (paraphrased) I know in the movie Eastwood wins but that's a movie and all the shots were dead zero...just saying

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If multiple guns could be chosen, my response would have been different. Guess I was under the assumption that it was a one gun selection. The op was asking why a rifle since he already had a pistol and shotgun.

Podman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
An ar-15 would be all you need for defense and hunting. They are compact and easy to use. And not that expensive compared to some rifles. But better get one before the election!:pms2:

Latest posts

Top Bottom