Are solar panels worth the investment?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-Pjackso

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Also, the numbers that the solar company are providing are going to be grossly exaggerated in their favor. I would find someone who has had the same setup for at least a couple of years and ask them, but be prepared to read through the lines- some people don't do numbers very well or they may be hesitant to admit they got duped.

Absolutely!!!
The contractor I used claimed a 5-7 year ROI, but after I reviewed real world output and calculated my own numbers - I calculated a 22.4 year ROI. When I asked how the contractor 'calculated' his numbers - the math was blatantly wrong. I just said 'thanks' and parted ways.
Run your own numbers.

FOR REAL WORLD PV Solar generation numbers - in Oklahoma City:
1) Go here (ht tps://ww w.sunnyportal.co m): SMA Solar Technology AG - Sunny Portal
2) Then click on 'Publicly available PV Systems'
3) Under city enter: oklahoma city

Find and review real-world PV generation. Note the size of the system - and scale it appropriately for your system.
Look for monthly yield (KWh) - then multiply by the KWh electric rate. That's the PV monthly 'savings'.
Now compare monthly savings to your total system expense for (simple ROI).

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ll try to answer all the questions:

1. 24 panels that produce 350 watts is $42k

2. He said it’a not worth putting extra panels on the roof to produce more than I need as the electric company only pays wholesale

3. 20 year loan at 1.99% interest which is where the payment comes in

4. Panels are hail resistant. Even with the large hail in Norman, they didn’t loose any panels.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ll try to answer all the questions:

1. 24 panels that produce 350 watts is $42k

2. He said it’a not worth putting extra panels on the roof to produce more than I need as the electric company only pays wholesale

3. 20 year loan at 1.99% interest which is where the payment comes in

4. Panels are hail resistant. Even with the large hail in Norman, they didn’t loose any panels.
I have about 7K invested, 6000 watt inverter, 3 midnight solar controllers, 2 trackers, 1 fixed array. 10 circuit transfer switch, wire, disconnects, 3420 watts of panels. I can run 2 window units, 2 freezers and 2 refrigerators and lights all day if the sun shines. A lot of that cost was batteries for off grid power. I am not grid tied with the solar. I wanted a separate power source.

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here’s the worksheet they left me:

AC49547C-287F-400B-B889-7B6730E2A159.jpeg

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This was my solar system in rural SE OK. 12kwh with a 10kwh converter. No batteries so if power went out I was without power. Got 30% back on my tax return. Whole house was electric. No electric bill after install. I’d say it was worth it, the price you currently pay per kWh is a key factor.

Attachments

• E45CDCAF-00E6-4C0C-8329-4DBB7511F613.jpeg
    E45CDCAF-00E6-4C0C-8329-4DBB7511F613.jpeg
    105.7 KB · Views: 34

Latest posts

Top Bottom