Are the cab steps on Uhaul trucks slippery when wet too?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlongCameJones

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I rented a Penske 26' truck in May of 2019 to move from Boise, Idaho to Lawton, Ok. On the last day of unloading the truck, the ramp in back and the cab steps were damp from rainy weather. I was wearing my not-so-cheap Nike Air Monarch athletic shoes. I almost slipped off the cab step once but caught myself by grabbing the door in the nick of time. I also slipped on the loading ramp. I had to run down the ramp with a loaded dolly to keep from falling down. I finally put on my rubber flip-flops to finish the job. They have a gummy soft rubber sole that worked quite well on a slippery metal ramp. The Nike soles are hard rubber and slick for such an expensive shoe. They suck on icy streets and sidewalks to boot. I have some other shower shoes now but they don't have good traction like my older gummy-bottom ones did before they wore out. I have rented Uhaul trucks for moving too but never in wet weather so I can't say as to the level of footing they offer people clambering over them in the rain. I emailed Penske twice about the slippery trucks but they never responded. I complained to some federal consumer agency too about these slippery trucks but they never followed up with a response to me. I gave this company a 1 star in both Yelp! and Google reviews regarding the Penske dangerous lack of footing. I was an American soldier once and younger. Army trucks, at least the 900-series 5-tons, do have sensible cab steps though the military is often stupid about many other things. They have a crisscross diamond hole pattern with sharp serrated knife edges that bite into the soles of hard-rubber combat boots. Never slipped once on these in rain, ice or snow. The tailgates on army trucks, however, have slick sheet metal. No texture for good footing. Civilian commercial trucks should have sensible surfaces on step areas and walkways too. Years ago I had a landscaping trailer with a slick metal tail gate so I riveted on some wood laths parallel for good footing.

Tell us of your solutions for getting a good footing on wet/icy vehicles and/or ground surfaces.

Last edited:

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Three points of contact at all times when entering and exiting the truck or you will eventually break something too bad they dont warn unexperienced people at the rental places saw a person come in who had rented a 26' to move over a weekend and had a tire go bad they charged the poor lady $700 bucks for a tire.

AlongCameJones

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All I know is the next time I need to move I need some kind of gummy-sole shoes in case Mother Nature should throw some rain at me again by surprise. The 3-point rule does no good on a loading ramp. Two hands are on the dolly so good foot traction is of the essence. These truck rental companies are cruising for major lawsuits with this slippery step issue. My auto policy should cover me for rental truck damage that might be my fault. I did get a damage waiver on the Penske though. I do believe there should be stiffer consumer-protection laws to protect truck renters from such injuries.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom