Are the cab steps on Uhaul trucks slippery when wet too?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For your personal vehicles, home, etc, you can go to any hardware store, home depot or lowes, etc, and buy paint that has something like sand in it, and you can purchase adhesive strips that have the very rough texture, peel and stick them.

GIJROB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My advice would be salt those ramps suck. I worked for u-haul for 6 years. Not that it matters. 👍 or sand but the salt cleans up much easier.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When slipping such as you did, I usually catch myself with my shin. It works every time, try it.

AlongCameJones

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just curious, how long have you been in Oklahoma?
:drunk2:
___
Since May 2019. Was stationed at Sill 1989-1991. Trucks, trains, ships, boats, streets, bridges, buildings and planes get rained on and slippery all over the world. The US military, usually dumber than a boulder, was sensible enough to put those knife-sharp-texture cab steps on newer vehicles. They dig right in to the hard soles of those Cochrans. The tailgates, however, were still as slick as a muddy river bank otters slide down. Using a drill and a riveter, I once installed wood laths across the tailgate of a landscaping trailer I once owned as an anti-skid measure.

Here is a sensible cab step (note the diamond holes and serrated teeth):
1633099994860.png

Last edited:

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is a sensible cab step (note the diamond holes and serrated teeth): View attachment 225671
Yep, I know what you mean. However... most folks probably rent in fair weather, many of them wearing summer clothes (shorts, etc.), and some will be single moms with kids. So the rental company has to choose between bloody skinned knees and slippery when wet.

Not sayin' they're right, just sharing a thought.
___

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some Trucks Have That. Some Have raised round holes. three points of contact at all times 2feet 1hand or 2hands 1foot i like the last one. you will be ok if you follow the rules. saw a guy fall from the top step land flat on his back. don't know if he ever recovered he didn't move while i was watching.

Last edited:

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Common sense goes a long way but as we know that went out the door years ago when everyone started blaming someone else for their mistakes.

AlongCameJones

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep, I know what you mean. However... most folks probably rent in fair weather, many of them wearing summer clothes (shorts, etc.), and some will be single moms with kids. So the rental company has to choose between bloody skinned knees and slippery when wet.

Not sayin' they're right, just sharing a thought.
___
The bottom line is, I think they are just trying to be cheap. Truck rental outfits might someday learn that sensibly-designed truck walking surfaces are cheaper than major lawsuits. It would be unfortunate that innocent and unsuspecting people would have to get hurt to prove my point. Sometimes wet weather does hit people who are in the middle of moving unexpectantly. Military people often have to move, come rain, come shine, however, often govt. contractors do the moving for them courtesy your federal tax dollars.

But I digress. I rented that truck in May of 2019 when it was sunny and dry in Boise, ID. I was taken by total surprise when there was rain (and lightning and thunder) when I arrived in Lawton, OK that same month. I had been in fact stationed at Fort Sill in Oct. 1989 through Jan. 1991 and don't recall a single drop of rain around that time of year. I don't think Penske understands Oklahoma weather too well. El Niño must have really screwed weather up bad here since 1990.

Last edited:

Duncandl

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have you filled the lawsuit yet?

I don’t want to contribute in any way financially unless there is a Class Action settlement because ‘Merica, right?

I would also like to refrain from contributing to this post mentally but I’ve already failed so what the heck. Are you seeking advice, sympathy or just like the rest of us simply bored out of your mind, lol.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom