Are these tech companies getting to big and monopolistic?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man OSA is on a roll.....

I remember some guy telling me that I shouldn't invest in Google because he had the same "they don't make anything"....... that was several hundred points ago. FANG stocks still kill it boys.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't discount the value of their user data. Between what the website collects, the app collects, messenger collects, they are sitting on highly valuable information for millions upon millions of people.

Not to mention their advertising reach.
What happend to "my space".
None of that information mattered for squat.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In case you haven't noticed information is worth far more than the sales and profit generated from the devices we use to give them the information. Google should be sued and by far more than the EU , anyone ever notice that something they look at on eBay or Amazon shows up in ads when you are doing google searches. They track what we look at and when and what we purchase, most of those internet companies are tracking what we do and buy and use it to their advantage.....they know what they are doing ...unless they are Yahoo in which case they are friggin worthless.......

That's true. The web in general is designed to find out your deepest darkest secrets, the big 5 the worst.
The only solution is to disconnect from the web, and if not wanting to do that, one has to live with it.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Act normal? :D
Yep, they went out into society and met new people with a handshake, and made friends that way.
We were out to dinner tonight and commented to the wife that 90 % of the patrons were on their phones, or ipads instead of interacting with their social partner. We have a hard and fast rule, no electronics while on a date. We've been dating for almost 30 years now, and the rule hasn't been broken.
I catch hell and been called whupped from some buddy's when they don't get an instant answer, but I think it's a good rule more should follow.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What happend to "my space".
None of that information mattered for squat.

Myspace was purchased for $580 million in 2005, so i wouldn't say it 'mattered for squat'. Failing to see coming trends and poor business decisions do not mean that the company did not have value (again, clearly it did at one point).

Plus, that was before the takeoff of smartphones, which now provide companies with vast amounts of user data that myspace never could.

And there are other businesses that operate daily in the US that have little in terms of assets, don't really 'produce' anything but have valuable networks of information.

Latest posts

Top Bottom