Are Troy or diamond back or any premium Sights worth it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I am on the fence about swapping Magpul MBUS for some Troy fixed irons. Can't decide if it's worth it on a beater gun. MBUS will be lower profile while stowed away but will need to be deployed for use. Fixed irons may snag on stuff when removing from stowage but don't need to be deployed.
These will be my only sights and going on a flat top AR that's free floated so would need front and rear.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I am on the fence about swapping Magpul MBUS for some Troy fixed irons. Can't decide if it's worth it on a beater gun. MBUS will be lower profile while stowed away but will need to be deployed for use. Fixed irons may snag on stuff when removing from stowage but don't need to be deployed. These will be my only sights and going on a flat top AR that's free floated so would need front and rear.
If you already have the MBUS I'd suggest keeping them unless/until you actually have a good reason to change them out. On the other hand if you just want something more tacticool there's nothing wrong with that either.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As long as it is a quality made sight, you're good. As far as anything else, type of sight, brand, style, etc, its all personal preference. There was another article similar to this one, basically came down to Magpul, Troy, and MI being the best, but like I said, name brand should be good. You dont want airsoft, chinese etc, because you dont want them to fail, get bent, lock up, etc

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/buis-drop-test-troy-vs-diamondhead-vs-mbus-67801/

Singularis

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
How would the Troy be an upgrade? the MBUS are stronger, and have two different size apertures. Read some of the drop tests -- MBUS do the best.

Also, folding sights take an impact better than the fixed ones (with the exception of the GI carry handle). There is no point whatsoever to fixed irons like the DD. Just get a folding ine and leave it up if that's what you want.

APH Tactical

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
exactly, just like those worthless glocks that are not at all known for their reliability :rolleyes:
If I hadn't personally broken and seen others break magpul front sights, I wouldn't have said anything.
Also, your "example" is a poor one. No point on your Glock frame (or my HK45 frame) is as thin and brittle as the connection point on the magpul front sight which is exactly where mine broke.
Curious... are the sights on your Glock also plastic?
But, I heard that the new Larue scope mounts will be plastic. Also, Aimpoint and Trijicon are going with plastic tubes for their optics, and Eotech announced that they too are getting rid of their heavy metal shells and going with a plastic housing. And to top it off, the U.S. Army has just authorized the use of the plastic magpul sights on combat weapons!

Wow, what a great day for plastic!!!

To celebrate, I'm gonna print out some plastic 5.56 "brass" and load some hard hitting 62 grain... any takers??? I can also do plastic firing pins if there is any interest in those... lighter than Titanium!!!

To the OP, the decision is yours. Magpul is a great company and will immediately replace your broken stuff as they did for both of the front sights and flashlight mount that we've broken. Check out the drop tests that the other members posted. Personally, I will not as my mind has been made up on this topic.
We manufacture custom rifles. And though we push troy and others, it does not change the fact that most of our rifles wear magpul buis. In the end, the choice is 100% yours, and which ever you decide, I hope that you enjoy and never regret your purchase.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I hadn't personally broken and seen others break magpul front sights, I wouldn't have said anything.
Also, your "example" is a poor one. No point on your Glock frame (or my HK45 frame) is as thin and brittle as the connection point on the magpul front sight which is exactly where mine broke.
Curious... are the sights on your Glock also plastic?
But, I heard that the new Larue scope mounts will be plastic. Also, Aimpoint and Trijicon are going with plastic tubes for their optics, and Eotech announced that they too are getting rid of their heavy metal shells and going with a plastic housing. And to top it off, the U.S. Army has just authorized the use of the plastic magpul sights on combat weapons!

Wow, what a great day for plastic!!!

To celebrate, I'm gonna print out some plastic 5.56 "brass" and load some hard hitting 62 grain... any takers??? I can also do plastic firing pins if there is any interest in those... lighter than Titanium!!!

To the OP, the decision is yours. Magpul is a great company and will immediately replace your broken stuff as they did for both of the front sights and flashlight mount that we've broken. Check out the drop tests that the other members posted. Personally, I will not as my mind has been made up on this topic.
We manufacture custom rifles. And though we push troy and others, it does not change the fact that most of our rifles wear magpul buis. In the end, the choice is 100% yours, and which ever you decide, I hope that you enjoy and never regret your purchase.

Glocks come with plastic sights from the factory, sooooooo....are you trying to prove my point for me or what?

to attempt finding common ground with you, I wouldn't suggest magpuls either if I had some fail on me. Your post just came across as a general plastic sucks comment.

APH Tactical

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lol, wow, that's funny. I actually had no idea the stock ones were plastic! Feelibg a bit foolish now... just a bit.
And actually, I guess I was just being foolishly defensive of my own opinion. I hate feeling like I've waisted money, or purchased an inferior product, especially when it comes to tools and gun parts. I probably have had enough cheap red dots, and mounts, mounted accessories fail, to fill a large shoe box, and most of them have had primary components made of plastic.

You were being a bit sarcastic, so i did. Apparently, I'm not very good at it lol.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lol, wow, that's funny. I actually had no idea the stock ones were plastic! Feelibg a bit foolish now... just a bit.
And actually, I guess I was just being foolishly defensive of my own opinion. I hate feeling like I've waisted money, or purchased an inferior product, especially when it comes to tools and gun parts. I probably have had enough cheap red dots, and mounts, mounted accessories fail, to fill a large shoe box, and most of them have had primary components made of plastic.

You were being a bit sarcastic, so i did. Apparently, I'm not very good at it lol.

respect given for being cool about it. I made a d*ck comment in the first place and probably should have checked myself.

Latest posts

Top Bottom