Are you a Modern Man or a Man's Man

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
tntrex said:
But what about old guys who shave their arms/legs/and god knows where else so they feel like a preteen?
That's not a man at all. A man doesn't shave below the neck, and only above it if he must. Or is bald.

RETOKSQUID

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Times list reads to me like a list of being Metro Sexual, that is a sissy guy who runs away when someone comes up with a weapon and demands wallets and money while leaving his significant other there to deal with the problem.

I'm with Mike Rowe on this one.

Metro Sexual, we had a different word for those types, starts with a P.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A Modern man will use his GPS for directions when he doesn't know how to get to a place he wants to go. A mans man does not need to go places he doesn't know the directions to.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't see the fascination everyone has with him, lots of guys would do the dirty jobs he does for a day or two like he does considering how much more he's making at it than real people. And considering his bio I wouldn't be surprised to see him in politics soon...

"His performing career began in 1984, when he faked his way into the Baltimore Opera to get his union card and meet girls, both of which he accomplished during a performance of Rigoletto. His transition to television occurred in 1990 when - to settle a bet - he auditioned for the QVC Shopping Channel and was promptly hired after talking about a pencil for nearly eight minutes. There, he worked the graveyard shift for three years, until he was ultimately fired for making fun of products and belittling viewers.
Thanks to QVC, Mike became practiced at the art of talking for long periods without saying anything of substance, a skill that would serve him well as a TV host. Throughout the ’90s, Mike had hundreds of jobs and relished his role as a chronic freelancer with lots of time to loaf around."

http://mikerowe.com/about-mike/bio/

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
NYT: The modern man has never “pinned” a tweet, and he never will.
MR: A Man’s Man does not know what that even means. But he rarely says “never.”

I'm a combo of both on this one.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't see the fascination everyone has with him, lots of guys would do the dirty jobs he does for a day or two like he does considering how much more he's making at it than real people. And considering his bio I wouldn't be surprised to see him in politics soon...

"His performing career began in 1984, when he faked his way into the Baltimore Opera to get his union card and meet girls, both of which he accomplished during a performance of Rigoletto. His transition to television occurred in 1990 when — to settle a bet — he auditioned for the QVC Shopping Channel and was promptly hired after talking about a pencil for nearly eight minutes. There, he worked the graveyard shift for three years, until he was ultimately fired for making fun of products and belittling viewers.
Thanks to QVC, Mike became practiced at the art of talking for long periods without saying anything of substance, a skill that would serve him well as a TV host. Throughout the ’90s, Mike had hundreds of jobs and relished his role as a chronic freelancer with lots of time to loaf around."

http://mikerowe.com/about-mike/bio/

I like him even better now.

Blinocac200sx

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mike Rowe's appeal is (I think) mostly based on the fact that he's a pretty boy who doesn't mind getting his hands dirty, and understands the value of and even esteems hard work. He has made a star of the blue collar everyman, and because that is such a large segment of the population, he has hit a chord.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mike Rowe's appeal is (I think) mostly based on the fact that he's a pretty boy who doesn't mind getting his hands dirty, and understands the value of and even esteems hard work. He has made a star of the blue collar everyman, and because that is such a large segment of the population, he has hit a chord.

Seeing it from that perspective I do agree more, just often seems like he's promoting his willingness to get dirty more than those doing it every day for much less.

Latest posts

Top Bottom