Are you a Modern Man or a Man's Man

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, in an interview, you've never said that you could do something that you'd never actually done, or emphasized something not related to the job that you had done based on cues from the interviewer, or told a story from your point of view, or acted enthusiastic about a part of the job you'd rather not do? BSing doesn't mean you've flat out lied in an interview, just that you didn't give, shall we say, unembellished facts.

Hmmm... now that you mention those things... no, not really. I don't think so. I'm not the type to act enthusiastic about something I don't like. I may say, "Yes, I can do that," but I absolutely will not give a false impression of myself of my capabilities in any way. None. I don't embellish about my job skills or capabilities. I dunno... I've just always thought of that as misleading or dishonest. I certainly don't want someone coming back to me later saying, "Hey, you said you'd done this a hundred times," or "You said this didn't bother you at all, but you obviously don't like it."

Just not the way I am.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Hmmm... now that you mention those things... no, not really. I don't think so. I'm not the type to act enthusiastic about something I don't like. I may say, "Yes, I can do that," but I absolutely will not give a false impression of myself of my capabilities in any way. None. I don't embellish about my job skills or capabilities. I dunno... I've just always thought of that as misleading or dishonest. I certainly don't want someone coming back to me later saying, "Hey, you said you'd done this a hundred times," or "You said this didn't bother you at all, but you obviously don't like it."

Just not the way I am.

Its good to know that there are a few people around that still have integrity.

I've never lied on an interview either.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
tRidiot said:
I absolutely will not give a false impression of myself of my capabilities in any way. None. I don't embellish about my job skills or capabilities. I dunno... I've just always thought of that as misleading or dishonest.
BSing isn't lying or even being dishonest, it's just hiding your weaknesses and emphasizing your strengths. If someone asks if you can do something you've never done and you say yes because you're confident you can (say, because you've been trained on it or you've done something similar), that's BSing. If they ask if you have done something you've never done and you say yes, that's lying.

Being a BSer doesn't mean that you're dishonest, it just means that you can build the human connection to talk yourself into a job that you might otherwise not have gotten.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
BSing isn't lying or even being dishonest, it's just hiding your weaknesses and emphasizing your strengths. If someone asks if you can do something you've never done and you say yes because you're confident you can (say, because you've been trained on it or you've done something similar), that's BSing. If they ask if you have done something you've never done and you say yes, that's lying.

Being a BSer doesn't mean that you're dishonest, it just means that you can build the human connection to talk yourself into a job that you might otherwise not have gotten.
That's a bunch of BS! :D

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not buying that.

I once got a bad report in a clinical rotation... my clinical supervisor asked if I would like to do a certain task. I said it wasn't something I wanted to do, but if she wanted me to show her I could do it to prove my proficiency, I would be happy to do so. Every other interaction I had with her or any other person on my clinical rotation was stellar - and yet I got marked down on my evaluation specifically for that one thing. I was furious, because her question was if I "would like to" do this thing, and I answered honestly, but in no way shirked the task... I was more than willing to do so if she wanted me to, but I wasn't going to lie, act enthusiastic when I wasn't or be otherwise misleading to seem like some kind of kiss-ass or whatever. It's just not me. Of course, no one wants independent, honest critical-thinkers anymore, it seems to me - they just want people who promote the status quo and can lie and put on a good face and a good show to feed the egos and machine involved in the system.

Screw that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom